Talk

Advanced search

Baby coughs and splutters on sippy cup. How can I transition him from bottle?

(4 Posts)
Snowboarder Tue 18-Oct-11 09:29:56

I'm trying to get my DS to start drinking a little water from a cup now that we are weaning him. The problem is that he seems to splutter when drinking from either a free flow or valved cup.

He has reflux so is on thickened milk with a medium flow teat so usually has to suck pretty hard to get the milk out, by comparison the water must gush out of the cup when he's drinking. I worry that he's going to get an aversion since he finds it so unpleasant to gag and choke every time we try.

Will he get the hang of it eventually or is there an in-between step I can introduce to help him make the switch?

AKMD Tue 18-Oct-11 09:32:57

Maybe just try an open cup? DS hated sippy cups but took to the open cup straightaway.

Snowboarder Tue 18-Oct-11 09:46:46

Thanks AKMD, don't know why I didn't think of trying that. I'll give it a go. Do you start off just by giving little sips before they can hold the cup properly themselves?

AKMD Tue 18-Oct-11 10:04:19

I did a bit of both. He could only manage one handle at 6mo so I had the other as a cup of water or milk is a bit heavy for diddy arms smile He controlled the tipping and putting it down though.

If I was giving it to him while I got on with something else, it would just have a bit in in and I would top it up if he finished. Otherwise the whole lot ended up on the floor/over him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now