Talk

Advanced search

Reduced salt gravy for a 2 year old-is it ok?

(6 Posts)
Justonecheese Mon 17-Oct-11 10:32:17

The thread title says it all really-do you let your kids have it, is it bad for them?

TheQueenOfDeDead Mon 17-Oct-11 10:35:43

No - it would I assume taste vile smile .

My 8mth old has regular fatty salty homemade gravy on her roast dinner.

A little bit of salt in an otherwise healthy balanced diet is absolutely fine.

MmeLindor. Mon 17-Oct-11 10:35:53

How often are they having it?

I never even thought about it, always just used normal Bisto.

They are not eating huge amounts and if you don't salt the rest of the meal, it will be fine.

MmeLindor. Mon 17-Oct-11 10:37:05

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood the question.

No, I would not give reduced salt/fat/carb/sugar food to a child, because they have to put yukky stuff in to make it taste the same as regular food.

Justonecheese Mon 17-Oct-11 10:56:48

Thanks all - sorry I realise my question was a bit confusing! Ok so a bit of normal bisto on a roast is fine - I really worry about salt for some reason...

GrimmaTheNome Mon 17-Oct-11 11:08:55

Well, its (quite rightly) drilled into us not to give them salt before 1yr so its only sensible to not suddenly give them loads.

If the reduced salt gravy is essentially the same thing but with less salt, fine. If however, they've compensated by adding potassium chloride, I'd be a bit cautious. I don't know whether its bad for small children or not but it doesn't taste entirely nice anyway.

I've a DH who has to be really careful about sodium (high BP) so I make gravy with the pan juices (with most of the fat removed), a tablespoonful of flour stirred in, veg water (which I don't salt) gradually stirred in - that's it. We add salt/pepper to taste at the table. If you've roasted your meat with an onion in the pan that's pretty flavoursome. Nicer than Bisto to be sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now