Talk

Advanced search

DS 17 weeks has gone into his own room is this to early?

(21 Posts)
crazybubbasmummy Sat 15-Oct-11 22:38:05

We have moved our DS no2 into his own room already because our room is near the road and is noisy, he has slept from 7-7 from 5 weeks but the noise has started to disturb him so we moved him as his room is very quiet,
BUT
im laying here stareing at the baby monitor not being able to relax is this normal? will i hear him? or should i move him back? but i cant cause of the noise!! ahhhh

niamh29 Sat 15-Oct-11 23:03:11

Relax, we moved DD's 2 and 3 into their own rooms at about 12 weeks because we were starting to disturb them, they always slept better in their own rooms and the monitor meant I heard every little stir they made. Once you get used to it you'll all sleep better.

QuintessentialShadyHallows Sat 15-Oct-11 23:05:06

Will you hear if he stops breathing?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 15-Oct-11 23:25:14

He'll be fine. I had to move my DS out of my room after a few months because he's a noisy sleeper and I was worn out. Didn't bother with a baby monitor because they just make people jumpy. As a new mum I found my ears were on full alert, even when I was asleep and I could always hear when I was needed.

Gleek Sat 15-Oct-11 23:30:08

SIDS recommend keeping your baby in with you until six months, not following that wouldn't be a risk I would be willing to take. Advice is there for a reason, they have full studies you can read on the subject too.

designerbaby Sat 15-Oct-11 23:42:22

Suggest keeping him in his own room (I'm pretty much always in favour of anything which gives Mum more sleep!) and get one of the sleep apnoea (sp.?) monitors so that yes, you will hear him if he stops breathing...

Unfortunately you will also know when he rolls up into a corner where the monitor can't pick up his movement, crap yourself and fall down the stairs with the aim of reviving your 'dying' baby only to find him sleeping peacefully blissfully unaware of your panic (this happened to me several times) but this is still preferable to lying awake angsting about whether everything is ok or putting up with a baby who can't sleep because if the noise...

Of course it might be nothing to go with the noise - he might just be moving from his sleepy newborn phase and changing from "the incredible sleeping baby" into "the amazing non-sleeping baby" grin

If thus us the case you won't need any monitor because you'll gear him perfectly. When he wakes. Yelling his head off. HOURLY. For six months straight...

This happened to me. Twice. Gutting...

Good luck and um... chill out... (not that I ever did!)

grin

db
xx

designerbaby Sat 15-Oct-11 23:45:12

Gah!

If this is the case you won't need any monitor because you'll hear him perfectly...

... Obviously

Bloody IPhone.

RitaMorgan Sat 15-Oct-11 23:47:53

No one can guarantee he'll be fine, SIDS guidelines are that they are safest sleeping in your room til 6 months. Cot deaths peak between 2-4 months iirc, and 80% occur before 5 months.

wannaBe Sat 15-Oct-11 23:51:31

"SIDS recommend keeping your baby in with you until six months, not following that wouldn't be a risk I would be willing to take. Advice is there for a reason," SIDS also recommend not co-sleeping but if you dare advise someone against that on here you are lynched. double standards... hmm

Evidence shows that the biggest contributor by far to the reduction of sids is the back to sleep campaign. As nobody actually knows what causes sids there is no real way of knowing how to definitively prevent it. Plus even if your baby were in the room next to you you wouldn't hear him if he stopped breathing as you'd be asleep.

You have to do what works for you. My ds went into his own room at nine weeks fwiw.

KittieCat Sun 16-Oct-11 00:01:32

Yes, it is too early. Advice is six months and advice is produced for a reason and based on evidence.

RitaMorgan Sun 16-Oct-11 00:09:35

wannaBe - FSID also produce information on safe co-sleeping though. There's a big difference between breastfeeding mothers co-sleeping safely with their babies and unsafe "co-sleeping" on sofas, with duvets, formula fed babies, drunk/drugged adults etc.

pommedechocolat Sun 16-Oct-11 00:14:32

Advice is advice not law and we all muddle through best we can. Do what feels right.

benne81 Sun 16-Oct-11 00:57:17

People become very pious about this issue on mumsnet, I started a thread on this topic a while ago and looked at the research papers behind the 6months guideline. There doesn't seem to be strong evidence regarding benefits and most of it is based on reseach looking at co sleeping rather than room sharing - the 6 month timescale seemed to have been plucked out of air (probably based on he increased risk in the first 3-5 months.) I'll try and dig out the thread for you. basically do whas best for you, weightup the risks and your individual problem ( noisey road etc) and tAke it from there - don't listen to mumsnetters as they can make you worry far more than reassure you sometimes!

GuillotinedMaryLacey Sun 16-Oct-11 04:42:34

Pious hmm Oh you mean not agreeing with the op on anything they say? Kind of defeats the object of the op asking for opinions then...

But since she did ask and you're not the thread police, yes I think it's too early. Sleep is less important than a safe baby. And no, even now at 3 dd doesn't sleep so I know what it's like.

Octaviapink Sun 16-Oct-11 05:59:46

Asking for opinions suggests that you feel anxious about it, crazy - why not sleep in his room instead? As long as you're in the same room it doesn't matter whether it's yours or his. For my money it's worth staying in the same room simply so that you both barely wake up for feeds and go back to sleep a lot quicker.

However - it may not be the traffic that's disturbing him. Babies don't keep the same sleeping pattern for ever (or even a week, sometimes) and there is a classic 16-week sleep regression that means a lot of formerly-sleeping-well babies start waking several times a night. I wouldn't move him unless you're certain that it's the traffic rather than his normal development that's disturbing him at night.

benne81 Sun 16-Oct-11 12:55:02

guillotined i don't mean the OP is pious I mean that sometimes people give very black and white responses to this issue and feel the guideline should be followed religiously and can be quite severe when people consider otherwise (when actually the evidence behind the guideline is by no means concrete). I was therefore advising the OP to do what she feels is best for her and maybe to bear this in mind when reading some of the advice given. Sorry if I confused you.

Jdore Sun 16-Oct-11 13:14:33

This is my experience ....

Ds1 6 weeks with us then into his own room
Ds2 7 months with us and he died in our room with us.
Dts 6 weeks with us then into thier own rooms
Ds4 6 weeks with us then into his own room

You do what ever you are comfortable with and remember every baby is different they don't read goverment guideline!

pommedechocolat Sun 16-Oct-11 14:25:54

Jdore - Loving the idea of babies not reading government guidelines! So sorry for your loss as well. xx

boglach Sun 16-Oct-11 18:12:09

Both mine went into their room at 3-4 months. I always felt guilty but was becoming half demented with lack of sleep. I would always go to them if they cried and breastfed on demand. Sometimes I co-slept, sometimes I would sleep on the floor next to their cot if they were ill. I just did what suited I suppose and didn't stick to any hard and fast rules

I even bought one of those side cots for dc 2 with the intention of co-sleeping for six months. But mine just didn't seem to be these babies that settled nicely next to mum

MigGril Sun 16-Oct-11 20:15:12

But the one thing most people don't seem to realise it that them sleeping in with you ISN'T so you can hear them it's so THEY CAN HEAR YOU. Baby's stop breathing in there sleep sometime's (this is call sleep apenia if it happens in adults), if they are sleeping in a room with an adult they start breasthing again because they hear you breathing and something to do with carbondioxided level's to.
It has nothing to do with you being able to hear them. It's also why they now recomend that baby's under 6months take all there naps in the same room as you.

So a sleep monitor is a must if for some reasion you can't have them in with you. But as with everything else it's a guid line and it's upto you wearther you want to follow it or not.

We chose to put DS to sleep on his front after 6week's. But I never left him alone to sleep ever. I was to scare to even try putting DD to sleep on her front she was a terrable sleeper but did start sleeping a bit better once she could roll and would guess what always roll onto her front.

rosycheeksandasmile Sun 16-Oct-11 20:18:13

Our 3.5 year old is still alive and we moved him after 2 months. A sleep monitor is a must

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now