Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

My 5 weeks premature baby has stopped taking her feeds.

(5 Posts)
Tablefortwo Fri 14-Oct-11 14:31:54

My Daughter Lilly was born last thursday. We brought her home 2 days ago, she has been feeding normally since birth untill last night.

I have been giving her Cow & Gate cartons which she has been taking fantasitcally well. We started using fomula last night, she is clearly trying to suck but cant seem to get anything through, we've tried upping the teet to medium flow, but that hasnt made any difference. She's gone about 11 hours now and only managed about an ounce all together.

She's been asleep pretty much the whole time.

Has anyone had a similar experiene?

An0therName Fri 14-Oct-11 14:42:35

hi try posting in either or both of breast and bottle feeding section or I think there may be preature baby section but personally I would ring a health care professional - either your GP or NHS direct or the hosptial

tstar Fri 14-Oct-11 14:45:14

Can you call the hospital which you were at for advise/support?
Have you tried a siringe to get the milk to her.
It can be a try and test game to seem which teat works.
You will get there, this is something most parents go through. Trial and error!

chipmonkey Fri 14-Oct-11 15:57:06

Definitely call the hospital. That is a very long time for a premature baby to go without feeding.

banana87 Fri 14-Oct-11 15:58:18

I agree. Call or get her to the GP or hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now