Talk

Advanced search

Struggling to get my 5.5 year old ds to settle at bedtimes!

(3 Posts)
CrazyBabies Fri 14-Oct-11 12:53:23

Hi there, my little one does show signs of beig tired by 6pm. He tends to get into bed at about 7pm, lies down after a story. He has a special night time light and a really lovely little room, and looks so cosey in bed, but then keeps getting out of bed and coming down stairs until sometimes 9 pm. He wants to chat and seems wide awake.
Why is he not tired after a day at school? and why does he not settle?
He even wanted to sleep in my bed last night and filled it with teddies, etc.
Any ideas welcome.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 14-Oct-11 13:46:06

I think all you can do, really, is say that once he's in bed, he's in bed. No coming down stairs and chatting. That's 'not assetable' to use the Supernanny phrase smile If you're doing all the usual wind-down sort of things... hot baths, stories, dim lighting, warm milk, no stimulation etc... and he's been at school all day then he just needs to stay there and he'll drift off eventually. One final thought... check that his pyjamas/bedding/duvet are warm enough and heavy enough. If bed is a little chilly, that can make sleep difficult.

Seona1973 Fri 14-Oct-11 13:57:05

maybe he's not ready for bed at that time. My just turned 5 year old has lights out at 7.45pm during the week and 8.30pm at weekends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now