Talk

Advanced search

Best way to go about 4yr old booster jab tomorrow?

(5 Posts)
justtired Thu 13-Oct-11 23:12:05

I havent told him yet as I didnt want him worrying all night but not sure what to do in the morning, tell him early and explain or leave it till they are about to stick the needle in??
I havent helped matters by saying about baby bros jabs a few weeks ago, forgetting this was coming! I was thinking bribary will help smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 14-Oct-11 09:19:44

As he's 4 I'd tell him in the morning. Keep everything bright, breezy and matter-of-fact. Bribery and promises of treats afterwards works... smile

InTheZenGarden Fri 14-Oct-11 10:08:14

I did DD (3.5) and DS (1) at the same time. Did DD first so that she didn't get freaked out by DS, who had to have 3 jabs.... and screamed
I didn't actually know until we arrived whether she would have hers as it depended on how busy the clinic was, we were really there to get DS's done.

But I did go pre-armed with chocolate buttons blush
She got one in advance and one as soon as the jabs were done. She did have a sore arm for 24 hours or so, but was well in herself smile

dearheart Fri 14-Oct-11 12:37:26

I told dd1 (low pain threshhold), put big bribe in place. She was fine... until they did it - horrendous screams. Oh it was really awful.

DD2 (high pain threshhold, not a worrier) Dh took along, explained at the time, distracted her, nurse did injection - she said 'oh have I had an injection!'

I would just take him along and say have to see nurse when you are four.

merrymonsters Fri 14-Oct-11 22:22:04

My kids barely noticed it was done. I think a lot of nurses are good at distracting the child and doing it painlessly. I think it's best not to go on about 'being brave' or 'it won't hurt'. You'd just be giving them reasons to worry.

DS1 said on the way home 'what did the nurse do?'. He hadn't even realised there was a needle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now