Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a highchair for a baby who cannot sit unsupported?

(16 Posts)
Snowboarder Thu 13-Oct-11 15:14:35

I need to wean my DS but he isn't yet able to support himself sitting up. Are there any highchairs out there that are slightly reclined to make feeding a smaller baby easy?

I was hoping to start BLW but as he doesn't yet bring food to his mouth himself it looks like purees is going to be the way forward.

WillbeanChariot Thu 13-Oct-11 15:15:43

I had to wean DS early before he could support his head, and I used to feed him in his car seat. Just an idea.

ScaredBear Thu 13-Oct-11 15:56:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Methe Thu 13-Oct-11 15:58:23

We used to put DS in an Antilop with the inflatable cushion when he was weaning, from about 10lb (he was prem) , he was fine smile

Octaviapink Thu 13-Oct-11 17:30:33

Why are you weaning him before he can sit up, can I ask? Does he hold his head up well?

madwomanintheattic Thu 13-Oct-11 17:33:41

there are billions of reclining high chairs. you can also use rolled towels to prop as necessary.

if this is a child with additional needs, you can get get a seating assessment done by your ot who can advise. our slt and ot used to do joint assessments to ensure feeding safety.

Snowboarder Thu 13-Oct-11 17:43:29

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think the Mothercare highchair looks good so I'll check that out. I think I'll get an Antilop chair for Grandma and Grandad's house when his sitting up is a bit better.

Octaviapink - yes you can ask. He was 12 weeks prem and weaning guidelines state that babies should be weaned according to their actual rather than corrected age. So although he is only 4 1/2 months corrected, so unable to sit without a good amount of support, he is 30 weeks actual so he is being weaned now. Sorry to disappoint you if you were hoiking your judgypants up in readiness.

He can sit well propped up and has excellent neck control so I think with the right highchair he'll be fine.

Octaviapink Fri 14-Oct-11 08:50:34

Snowboarder if you don't want people to bring their judgypants then you could explain a little more in your original post. It's not like there aren't mothers on mumsnet wanting to start solids at 10 weeks!

Firsttimer7259 Fri 14-Oct-11 10:00:21

Octaviapink - have seen you flashing them judgeypants on here enough times now. Down!

Octaviapink Fri 14-Oct-11 12:00:20

OK (and off-topic) fair enough, I'm willing to take a lesson on board. But. If you think (or know) someone's got something badly wrong, how do you say something without coming across as judgypants? There's no point having a multi-voice internet community if everyone just reassures everyone else that they're doing everything right. I hope this isn't coming across as sarcastic - that's not my intention at all - really I'm after what other people think is an appropriate way to tell someone you think they're wrong. Without coming over as judgypants.

Incidentally I do hold my hands up to being curt sometimes - frequently I don't have much time and don't want to leave a thread unanswered.

RunningOutOfIdeas Fri 14-Oct-11 12:02:57

I had to wean my DD early (medical advice). We used her bouncer chair.

Firsttimer7259 Fri 14-Oct-11 12:28:26

Taking you seriously Octavia
Maybe its tone, Im not sure myself sometimes, but I think forums are a bit like email. You do need to take care for things not to sound like you have already made your mind up so curtness is problematic. On this exchange I could see from your first comment that you are thinking 'here's an over early weaner with no clue as to guidelines' whereas the posters opening line 'I need to ...but cant support himself' and the fact that she's looking for a chair that will help already tells you this is someone who probably knows the guidelines and has a special reason for needing this. Its like you skipped all the clues and rushed to the wrong conclusion.

lmnmum Fri 14-Oct-11 13:58:51

Another idea is to try feeding in a bumbo chair and then get whatever high chair you really want (if it's not a reclining one) once your LO is able to sit well.

thesurgeonsmate Fri 14-Oct-11 14:10:05

Sorry, I'm not too clear on how well he can support his head. If he can, but needs propped to sit up, there's not enough that can be said on the wonder that is Antilop plus inflatable cushion. This is how we got started, and now the cushion is gone we've still got the best high chair for the job. All for £20.

reallytired Mon 17-Oct-11 13:02:39

I think a bumbo is great if you need to wean a baby who cannot sit up without support. I found that the bumbo helped to strengthen dd's tummy muscles to allow her to sit up. I used it when she was 12 weeks old an she loved it. I used to sit her in it while I hung out the washing.

foreverondiet Mon 17-Oct-11 23:10:20

I personally would use a bouncy chair until he can sit up, you'll be spooning it in anyway until then so not as if he needs the tray.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now