Talk

Advanced search

Help! How can I get two year old to cooperate so we can eventually get out of the house?

(15 Posts)
BlackCatinaWitchesHatonaBroom Thu 13-Oct-11 13:13:03

I know this might sound pathetic but I need dd to let me change her nappy and for her to eat some food so we can go out. She is too busy in her own little world to do either. She is running around talking to imaginary people and she refused to let me change her nappy.
Can anyone suggest what to do short of pinning her down?
I have to buy some bread and other bits andI need to pick up ds at around 3.00 pm. HELP.!!!!!!!!!

ScaredTEECat Thu 13-Oct-11 13:21:37

Pin her down. Or give her a choice.

"DD do you want to eat now and then get changed? Or shall we change you first?"

Be the parent. Tell her what is going to happen and then make it happen.

BlackCatinaWitchesHatonaBroom Thu 13-Oct-11 13:26:59

We have progress at last. she has let me change her nappy now it's how to get her to eat something. She is talking to her imaginary characters again.

AMumInScotland Thu 13-Oct-11 13:30:41

Just pin her down. If she objects, tell her the nappy is going to get changed and she can decide whether its this way or the gentler way.

If she won't eat, just let her get hungry, or take something along in your bag/pocket to tide her over.

Be in charge!

pictish Thu 13-Oct-11 13:31:27

Pin her down fgs - don't be such a wuss!

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Thu 13-Oct-11 13:34:26

You don't need to "let her let you", you just tell her what's going to happen and then crack on!

BlackCatinaWitchesHatonaBroom Thu 13-Oct-11 13:38:11

Right, Thanks for that. I'm obviously being too soft on her. blush

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 13-Oct-11 13:42:22

My DS is the same OP. He is now at the stage where I can "negotiate" with him. He hates being pinned down so I ask him whether he wants to lie down nicely or whether he wants me to hold him down. If he starts to struggle, I hold him down briefly and ask him again to lie still and then I can take my legs off him. It usually works

geraldinetheluckygoat Thu 13-Oct-11 13:48:42

"It's time to eat now" put in chair, present food. Remove after reasonable amount of time.
"It's time to change your nappy" put on mat, hold her down, change it.

Go out.

If you fanny about asking her eif she wants to eat/have her nappy changed of course she's going to say "no" and create, shes a toddler! But eating and nappy changing have to be done, you know this as an adult, so you have to take the lead and do what needs to be done. She is two, she doesn't have the common sense to be able to know if her nappy needs changing or not....

Francagoestohollywood Thu 13-Oct-11 13:51:11

Tell her it's time for a nappy change and then pin her down (it can be down with grace, btw wink) for the nappy change, I used to give my dc either a little book to look at or a tube of cream, as dd loved to screw/unscrew the top.

Feed her on the buggy if you are too late.

BertieBotts Thu 13-Oct-11 13:55:43

My DS is like this as well. It can be a nightmare. And not always the obvious solution - you can't force feed them and once they get bigger it's harder to pin them down and change the nappy at the same time (especially if it's a pooey one.)

So coping strategies - firstly, try leaving loads of time to get ready. If you need to go into town before you pick DS up, you probably want to be leaving at 1ish, so lunch ready by 12 and make sure she's ready to go before lunch - so start getting ready at 11 at the latest. Also, lots of pre-warning. "We're going to get changed, then you can do some playing, then it's time for lunch and then we are going into town."

Nappy changes, just for wet ones, learn to do them standing up! They seem to protest less and it's quicker.

Agree with making lunches you can take with you. Sandwiches and other packed-lunch kinds of things. DS does the dithering thing over lunch and it's a pain. Do you eat lunch with her? That can help. Also when DS was proving hard to tear away from his trains my mum hit on a good technique which was to say "You don't have to have any lunch, but I'm really hungry and my tummy is hurting. I need to go and make some food for me now." and he would suddenly declare that his tummy was hurting too and he needed some food as well.

Only other thing I can think of is to try involving the imaginary friends? Tell her it's time for X's lunch (and they could have a tea party) or that X needs their nappy changed, so you could do them both together.

whobuilttheark Thu 13-Oct-11 14:04:11

I didn't know it was ok to pin your toddler down blush and say nappy is being changed, like it or not. Starting to understand why he thinks he's boss when it comes to getting out the house!

I think a lot of mums are going to be a bit hmm at this but my upbringing was quite harsh. Scared of being like my own parents, I guess. Life might be a bit easier from now on smile

AngelDog Thu 13-Oct-11 14:59:52

I use a technique like Bertie's with the food. Also showing DS the food that's ready for him to eat makes the difference between him having a strop because he wants to play with his trains NOW and then him having a strop because he needs the food NOW. hmm At least I can get him into the high chair then.

If he's busy with something I ask if he wants to hold onto it while he has his nappy changed / sits at the table.

BlackCatinaWitchesHatonaBroom Thu 13-Oct-11 15:53:57

Thanks everyone for all the hints and tips.smile

We did manage to do it all in the end although she didn't want the original lunch I made her so ended up with a few snacks in the pram.

madwomanintheattic Thu 13-Oct-11 16:31:38

who's the mummy? wink grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now