Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone done a combined approach - nursery and childminder?

(7 Posts)
WhoahThereCrazyHorse Wed 12-Oct-11 15:04:54

I am due back to work 4 days/week in 6 weeks time when DD will be 10.5mo. She's all booked into a nursery that I'm happy with, but nevertheless having a bit of a wobble...

I think the issue is that I can see the pros and cons of both types of childcare, and I'm wondering if it's possible to outweigh the cons a bit, as well as giving DD the exposure to the pros of both, by doing 2 days at nursery and 2 days cm? I originally looked for a cm and saw lots that I liked, but none I could see myself leaving DD with for 4 days - however if it was part of a combined approach I can picture it much better iyswim.

Or would this just mean DD would find it difficult to settle at either, and should I just get on with it and stop overthinking it?!

Would be grateful for any experience/views/wisdom!

campocaro Wed 12-Oct-11 15:26:59

Our DD did this- starting at similar age. She had 2 days with a childminder very near our house and 3 with nursery where both DH and I worked. It worked very well. Although I was very happy with the nursery and it was very good for being near work I didnt want her traveling the 30 min journey every day and I wanted her to have a more cosy home atmosphere for part of the week. This combination worked very well for 4 years 'til she went to school.

WhoahThereCrazyHorse Wed 12-Oct-11 15:33:07

Oooh campocaro that's good that it worked for you, am starting to consider this a bit more seriously now.... did your DD settle into both ok?

Octaviapink Wed 12-Oct-11 19:51:32

I think it would depend on the child - it is increasing the number of carers by quite a lot (IME they don't really get one 'key person' at nursery the way they're supposed to because of part-time work, shift patterns, illness, holidays etc) at an age when separation anxiety is at its height and they do best with just one person looking after them. I would tend to think you should commit to one type or the other. What was wrong with the CMs that you didn't think your DC would flourish there four days a week?

SazZaVoom Wed 12-Oct-11 19:54:56

Both DD's were solely with a CM from 1-2.75 when they got their free preschool places and then we did a mix. I think at 10.5 months i would stick with the CM full time (more stability) and then maybe use a nursery when a bit older.

campocaro Wed 12-Oct-11 22:32:21

I still have the diaries from both childminder and nursery and she settled in well with both-there was a definite key worker at the nursery -who was there for nearly all of her nursery years and who she still remembers. We are still in touch with her childminder 11 years on.

Mouseketool Thu 13-Oct-11 10:01:44

DS did 2 days at CM and 3 at nursery and it worked well. He prefered the CM but I think that's more just his personality than anything (likes more adult attention than playing with other kids). In fact, if the CM was ever ill, I could just phone nursery and take him there if they had a spare place which was a real benefit.

As a PP said though, I would CM til he's a bit older then introduce nursery. DS had CM til he was 2 and she went on mat leave, then nursery while she was on mat leave then a combination of both when she was back and he was 2.5

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now