Talk

Advanced search

Smelly packed lunch box

(6 Posts)
Curlybrunette Wed 12-Oct-11 08:17:15

Morning everyone,
Ds's packed lunch box is pretty stinky and I wondered how you cleaned your's. It gets a good wipe out everyday and before if it started to smell I put it in the washing machine and then it was fine. That doesnt work now (still a bit pongy after a wash) so I soaked it in dettol for a few hours but now there is a dettol smell with an undertone of horridness! Shall I just buy a new one or can it me saved?

Last term ds stayed school dinners almost all the time so it was hardly used but I think now he's pack up everyday it's a bit overused. Bow often do your pack up boxes last (this one is one of the soft character ones with the plastic linings)

Ta
X

LardyMa Wed 12-Oct-11 08:21:03

I wipe my similar ones out and sometimes fully immerse them. They can get smelly at this time of year since left to dry and not drying properly as no heat fro sun and no radiators. I have taken of late to drying them properly in airing cupbaord overnight after good wash. Sounds like yours might be beyond help if you cannot get smell out. HTH

Curlybrunette Wed 12-Oct-11 08:23:18

Thanks, I thought it might be too late for his faithful old Simpsons box!

DooinMeCleanin Wed 12-Oct-11 08:25:30

I turn mine inside out and stick them in the washer with a dollop of bleach.

Curlybrunette Wed 12-Oct-11 11:04:20

I'll try that, it's only a few months old do I'd like it to last longer if I can
X

DooinMeCleanin Wed 12-Oct-11 11:09:44

Ours stunk last weekend. I worked Friday night and stupidly assumed DH would've emptied the half eaten tuna sarnies and bananas. He hadn't. Boak. Dd1 also has a habit of leaving hers at school. I don't always pick her up on a Friday due to work, so it's often returned to me on Monday afternoon, full of rotten fruit and mouldy sandwhiches.

I put the bleach in where the washing liquid usually goes and wash at 60deg. Funnily the colours seems uneffected and smells fresh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now