Talk

Advanced search

Which Natural range to use on toddler?

(12 Posts)
WeeLors Tue 11-Oct-11 22:27:49

Hi there,
This is my first post (I'm a bit of a lurker) but I'm so overwhelmed with all of the products out there that think I need a bit of advice.
My 20mth old DS has always had slightly sensitive skin but lately its gotten really bad. He suffers from bumpy (and at the mo red and angry looking) skin on his arms and face, and recently this has spread onto his trunk. This "rash" seemed purely cosmetic and didn't seem to bother him so I did a bit of online research and came up with keratosis pilaris (which I've since had confirmed by gp).

Anyway, although there is no cure for this as such, it seems like there are a lot of chemicals that can aggravate it so we decided it was time to switch to all natural products. I ended up ordering some trial sizes of Burt's Bees Baby Bee products and LOVE them (DS skin is responding well too). The only problem is they are just so expensive that I don't know if we could afford to keep buying them. Have came across a few cheaper ranges such as the Tesco BNatural Baby range and Halo's N Horns. Was just wondering if anyone knew if these product are as good as the more expensive ones and just how "natural" they were in comparison too. Looks to me like there are still a long list of chemicals on them and can't find much info online.

Anyone with experience of keratosis pilaris that can suggest some good products for babies would be much appreciated too

Thanks x

WeeLors Tue 11-Oct-11 22:30:16

P.S - Not sure if this is the best place to post but figured it fell under the parenting remit

wompoopigeon Tue 11-Oct-11 22:42:23

Welcome to MN. Have you tried the Waitrose own brand range? Am thinking of baby bottom butter which only has 2 ingredients IIRC. We use the shampoo too.

TonksmarriedaWerewolf Tue 11-Oct-11 22:50:15

Halo's n horns are good, as are Little Me Organics. We use them on Ds as he has bad excema.

For moisturisers i swear by Aveeno. Anything without Sodium laureleth (sp?) Sulphate as an ingredient. Since we banned them for DS his skin has improved no end!

BTW, waitrose baby wipes are fabulous!

AngelDog Tue 11-Oct-11 23:34:40

Welcome to MN.

Yes, definitely avoid anything with SLS. Weleda toiletries are nice.

You might have more replies if you post on the children's health board too. People often ask this sort of question on the Allergies board as well.

WeeLors Wed 12-Oct-11 08:44:50

Thanks for all the replies, unfortunately we don't have a Waitrose anywhere near us so I don't think we could get them easily (unless you can shop online with them - we're in Scotland though, don't think I've ever seen a Waitrose in Scotland). Have looked at both Aveeno and Weleda but they look much the same price as Burt's Bees. I think I'll just have to find the money somewhere for more expensive products if need be. Will def look into Little Me Organics and Halo N Horns though.

Thanks for the tips on SLS, I started using Aqueous Cream in the bath when his skin first got bad but have since realised it has SLS in it. It looks so innocuous too!!

I will post on the childrens Health and Allergies board too, thanks for the tip

notcitrus Wed 12-Oct-11 09:06:02

Just wondering what 'products' you put on a toddler?
Ds gets washed in plain water, has a tiny dab of Johnson's baby shampoo to wash his hair about once a fortnight, and that's it, except a bit of olive oil when cradle cap flares up.
He doesn't have very sensitive skin, but dn who does got much better when no products went anywhere near him.

Might be worth just holding off with anything except warm water and see if it helps?
And looking into what you use to clean the floors or any surfaces where ds spends his time - a few times my ds got a terrifying boil-like rash with raised red welts up to 2 inches across, all over his legs and arms and chin. It was diagnosed as some sort of contact allergy but we've never figured out what - though luckily since ds has been sitting and walking most of the time, it's never happened again.

fallenoverflowerpot Wed 12-Oct-11 09:06:59

You can get Aveeno on prescription, though it didn't do much for my DD. The absolute best we've found (she has eczema as well as kp) is Balneum cream. Has urea in it, and is wonderful at really moisturising, not just creating a greasy barrier. You can get it in 500g pumps, again on prescription.
I think all creams are basically 'unnatural', and that you need to work out what the bad ingredients are for your DS. SLS is a disaster for DD, which means no aqueous cream and no Epaderm (both make her skin much worse). Also check whatever shampoo you use. We now use the Boots Naked range.

WeeLors Wed 12-Oct-11 09:34:32

notcitrus - we don't use that many products, just a bit of baby wash and moisturiser. We shampoo his hair about once a week (if we remember, if not its more like once a fortnight). I suppose you're right that we prob don't need to use anything but water in the bath so we'll try that but he definitely needs moisturiser/lotion or his skin gets really dry and irritated. I would use just olive oil or something (I used to use it on his cradle cap too) but it would create such a mess to put it all over his body. My already huge washing pile would grow even more with all the residue that would come off on his clothes/bedding. I'll watch out for cleaning products though, thanks for the tipsmile We're carpeted everywhere he generally plays and I don't use anything on the carpet except the hoover but will watch what I'm using on the kitchen floor for the odd occasion he plays in there.

fallenover - I'll maybe ask gp for Balneum although to be honest she was a bit useless, she didn't even know what kp was. It was only once I suggested it that she looked it up in her book and said "yes, it certainly looks like thats what he's got, I've seen it before but didn't know thats what it was called". Then she proceeded to look it up on the internet to see what treatment normally is - I kid you not!! shock

MrsHuxtable Wed 12-Oct-11 21:57:30

Greenpeople maybe? It was developed by a lady whose daughter had skin problems.

CaptainNancy Fri 14-Oct-11 11:11:34

My son has eczema, and I have found the best shampoo for him is nature baby shampoo (boots and waitrose have it, and some sainsburys). We use green people suncream, and I agree it's good stuff- it's the only one he can wear without getting a rash, so may well be worth looking at them.

If you use the advanced search function at the top of the page, and do a search for 'keratosis pilaris' you will find previous threads on it, and there will probably be a wealth of advice on them.

Welcome to MN! smile

WeeLors Fri 14-Oct-11 12:44:12

Thank you very much, will look into both Greenpeople and Nature baby. Sounds like its all going to be trial and error til we find whats right for him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now