Talk

Advanced search

How old was your lo when you first left them overnight?

(41 Posts)
Devilscelery Mon 10-Oct-11 10:34:52

Just wondering how old your lo was when you first left them overnight? Dd is 1 and we r thinking of staying overnight at hotel but I'm nervous about leaving her.

FeelMyWraith Mon 10-Oct-11 10:39:25

I left dd at 3yrs 8 months to go away overnight for my 30th birthday.

I hated it. grin She's 4.5 now and sleeps over at grandparents here and there. The issue was forced because I was pregnant with ds and knew that I would probably need an emcs and dd would possibly need to stay with somebody for a couple of days. And she did so thankfully we had had a few trial runs and now ds is here, she has carried on having a sleepover with grandparents every couple of weeks. Everybody enjoys it.

Different times are right for different people. Some do it within weeks of the birth, some don't do it for years. There's no right or wrong, just right for you.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 10-Oct-11 10:39:50

About 6 months old. I had to travel for work and my mum came to stay and looked after DS. He was fine & she loved it.

ConstanceNoring Mon 10-Oct-11 10:40:05

DS2 was 3 months old, it was our wedding day and we stayed the night in a hotel, - didn't have a honeymoon.

I left him and DS1 with my sister, - we picked them up the next morning after breakfast, - she called us 'sad' for coming to get them so early! grin

oioverhere Mon 10-Oct-11 10:45:23

ds1 was 2 and ds2 was about 6 months old when i first left them overnight with exh

worldgonecrazy Mon 10-Oct-11 10:47:36

Four months old. I went away with one of my girlfriends for one night and DH looked after her. My daugher was fine, I was a blithering mess and missed her so much.

Although I pumped like mad it did affect my milk supply and I needed a lot of support to get it back up to normal - took about 3 days hard pumping.

She gets left overnight with the grandparents about once every month or so now, and although I no longer breastfeed, missing her is the real problem.

The first night my husband and I both left her for a night away, at 8 months, we both woke up at 6.30 a.m. and decided to head straight home to be with her, so no sexy long weekend lie-in.

I guess everyone is different, some mums can leave them at 2 weeks, some have never left them at 2 years. There is no right and wrong.

nothingbyhalves Mon 10-Oct-11 10:50:55

7 months. Left with DH while i visited a girlfriend for 1 night. Do what your comfortable with.

CMOTdibbler Mon 10-Oct-11 10:51:59

I left ds with dh at 6 months overnight as I needed to be away for work. But it wasn't until he was 3.5 that he wasn't with either of us overnight

TimmyTimeRules Mon 10-Oct-11 10:53:15

DD1 - 8 mths
DD2 - 6 mths
DD3 - 4 mths
DS1 - 4 mths
DS2 - 5 weeks

wigglesmonsterock Mon 10-Oct-11 10:56:02

DD1 - I left her at 6 months with husband, but don't include that because one of us was there - so 10 months for 1 night.

Dd2 - 4 months for 3 nights, left her and dd1 with grandparents

DD3 will be 10 months, leaving all three of them again with grandparents for 2 nights

Ciske Mon 10-Oct-11 10:57:50

2 months, to go to a work night out. DP was still with her though.

HettyAmaretti Mon 10-Oct-11 10:58:44

DC 1 was 9 or 10 months (DP and I away for 1 night- she stayed with PIL)
DC 2 was 6 months (just me away but for 3 nights, he stayed with DP and DD)

unfitmother Mon 10-Oct-11 11:07:07

DS was 9, DD was 6 (it was the same night), my 11th wedding anniversary.

Rosa Mon 10-Oct-11 11:08:56

Only when I was in hosp having dd2 otherwise I have never left either of them overnight....5 &2

oranges123 Mon 10-Oct-11 11:18:51

At about two weeks old for 3 or 4 nights when I was readmitted to hospital and they made me stay in the Emergency ward which wasn't safe for babies. She went home with DH.

I haven't been able to bring myself to do it again yet and she is 22 months. However, DH and I are thinking we might have a night away soon and leave her with the grandparents. I can see us picking her up VERY early....

An0therName Mon 10-Oct-11 19:59:10

I left both about 1ish with their dad
with my mum :
DS1 was 2
DS2- about 14 months
does your DS sleep ok? and whoever will be looking after him knows him well - then I wouldn't worry - its nice to have a break
you might want the carer to do a bed time before you go away - or be there when you do your bed time routine so they know what to do - and the first time it might be easier if they come to your house
good luck and enjoy it

SazZaVoom Mon 10-Oct-11 20:02:16

I can't remember blush

DD1 was probably about a year, DD2 9 months.

cory Tue 11-Oct-11 09:23:58

Depends on whether you mean "left alone with dh" or "left alone with somebody else". To me, leaving them with dh wouldn't really register, because he's just an extension of me. With grandparents, probably about a year old (didn't have much opportunity as they live abroad).

ScaredBear Tue 11-Oct-11 10:04:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rugbylovingmum Tue 11-Oct-11 10:46:37

About 7/8 months I think. We stayed in a hotel nearby so we could collect her if there were any problems. I was worried (although I knew there was no reason for it) but she had a great night with her grandparents and my mum and dad loved having her. I think it would have been tough leaving her for the first time no matter how old she was but if you know you have no real reason to be nervous and you want to try having a night away then you should go for it. If you wait until you don't feel nervous you will probably never leave her. Enjoy your break!

FrozenNorthPole Tue 11-Oct-11 11:18:48

DD1 was 17 months - I left her to give birth to DD2; was away for 2 nights and DH looked after her.
DD2 was 19 months - I left for one night to go to a work conference and DH looked after them both.
Since both are still breastfed I just couldn't be bothered with expressing milk unless I absolutely had to.

ClaimedByMe Tue 11-Oct-11 11:22:18

Ds is 6 and has never had a night away from us, my parents are taking him and dd to london for 4 days ths weekend, i think it will be a shock for ds and my parents!! Dd has had nights away since she was about 3!

LikeABlackFlameCandleBNQ Tue 11-Oct-11 11:25:12

How odd that a lot of posters consider leaving their LO with the baby's father as 'leaving them overnight'.

happyhorse Tue 11-Oct-11 11:44:34

11 months when we had a wedding to go to, but I'd have had no qualms about leaving him with my parents for a night earlier than that. There was a baby crying somewhere in the hotel and I automatically got out of bed thinking it was DS, then realised that he wasn't there and that I could go back to bed. It was lovely. Go for it.

An0therName Tue 11-Oct-11 13:12:16

LikeABlackFlame well you are phyically away from them - which particularly if you are BF can be a big step

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now