Talk

Advanced search

How much do you play with your 1year old?

(9 Posts)
Romilly70 Mon 10-Oct-11 10:26:45

I am a SAHM and we live in rural france so there is not a lot in the way of playgroups, apart from a drop in area with a good selection of toys and up to about 3 or 4 other children with their mums.

DS who is almost 1, is quite happy exploring the house and the garden, so our house is quite chaotic and he is quite often filthy at the end of the day - which i don't mind, i guess i think that is how children should be!

I am with DS all the time but although i stop and try and play with him a little bit, (usually more often directing him to another toy,) I feel like a) I am stretched so thin that i just seem to fit him in from dashing from one chore to another and b) i am not really sure how i should be playing with him...

i do try and teach him little things like how to clap his hands, stand him on a chair and show him & talk to him when i am coooking, give him his toothbrush to clean his teeth when i am in the shower. i just feel like i am not giving him as much attention as i would like and am really not sure what else i should be exposing him to at this age...

any tips on how you play with your one year olds?

horribledinners Mon 10-Oct-11 10:31:09

It sounds like he's having an absolutely lovely time with his Mum. Play is learning and he's learning by watching and joining in with what you do, do your normal stuff, but add in some commentary and singing. Don't worry about it too much! smile Whereabouts in france are you? My family is in Dordogne and i'm there regularly.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 10-Oct-11 10:43:16

I've never mastered the art of playing with a baby smile I get bored far too quickly. My technique is to keep them close, talk to them a lot, sing daft songs and hope that all the dull interesting things that I do are entertaining enough. Seems to have been OK in our case.

Romilly70 Mon 10-Oct-11 11:00:24

horribledinners thanks for the reassurance! we are in the dordogne too, near sarlat. whereabouts is your family?

CogitoErgoSometimes as long as DS knows where i am and am in yelling distance, he seems keep happy; it is probably just me worrying too much.

Romilly70 Mon 10-Oct-11 11:01:01

* yelling distance - he does the yelling!

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 10-Oct-11 13:33:30

Sounds like you've got a nicely confident, secure, happy baby so you can't be doing anything wrong. I think the ideal is having a child that enjoys your company, and you enjoy theirs, but that neither of you are reliant on the other 100% for their amusement.

Romilly70 Mon 10-Oct-11 21:06:09

thank you, i feel better! (people do comment he is a very happy little chap, so i guess i will jsut continue as we are...)

Firsttimer7259 Thu 13-Oct-11 10:29:44

Sounds like you are doing great!

If you wanted more ideas there are youtube clips on things to do with children at 9 months, 10 months etc. Just ahve a search and start somewhere that seems to suit you both. The age is just a guideline and the videos are a bit earnest but the ideas are good. It gives me things to try that I havent thought about yet eg: bubbles, rolling balls, putting stuff in and out of boxes, shaving foam, pouring pasta etc etc.
Theres also books that have games to play with toddlers that are good for new ideas. You often have to try a few things before you come up with a new activity that sticks (as in you both like doing it together). Also something might not click now but will in a few weeks time.

Most people are good at certain types of play and less good at others. So particularly if you are home full time it can be useful to get ideas from elsewhere to try out.

FoxyRevenger Thu 13-Oct-11 20:48:59

I've got a 16 month old and I actually play with her a bit less recently, although there are lots more hugs and reading of books!

She doesn't seem too into her toys right now and wanders off after a few minutes when I sit down to play with her. She is pretty happy emptying cupboards, attempting to fill the DVD player with random crap, running up and down the hall....

I just go with whatever she fancies doing and keep chatting and singing to her all day as we do household bits and pieces. She seems fine with that.

<does the shrug of the clueless parent>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now