DS, 18mo, was born by emcs and I despite trying for 4 weeks, I was unable to sustain exclusively bf. However, despite introducing formula, I still bf my DS and still do. I am now 32 weeks pregnant with DC 2 and finding it very dificult to decide what to do. I really want to bf DC2 if possible but am finding it very difficult to ween DS. We had managed to get it down to one feed in the evening but then DS began teething again and seemed to want lots of extra comfort, followed swiftly by a really nasty cold, not to mention moving house. All of this has made me find it difficut to refuse to let him feed as I know how much it comforts him. I have heard conflicting advice re tandem feeding after having a low milk supply first time round. Will it lessen a low supply? Or, as I was also advised by a BF expert, DS continuing to feed could help draw the milk through as it were and help increase the supply ?????? Any ideas? Has anybody experienced low milk supply? Did it improve second time round? Would tandem feeding be possible in my case? If not, how on earth do I ween DS off bf in 6-8 weeks? Any help would be great!
I don't really know about the technicalities, but commonsense says carry on, and the milk will keep flowing. I tandem fed until my ds was just over two, by which time the baby was 6 months old. I planned to phase out bf, but in the end the prospect of the stress associated with it put me off, and we carried on. Am sure it could help, as long as you're not anxious about it. Good luck!
I tandem fed for 2 months...plenty of milk and was much easier, I think because I was already bf. I decided when baby was 2 months we would do the 'don't offer, don't refuse', the toddler never asked again. We were on holiday for 2 weeks at the time so daddy was around a lot for distraction etc which I expect helped.