Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not want my 3 year olds to be playing computer games?

(11 Posts)
SeeingDouble Sun 09-Oct-11 17:38:23

DH is currently playing Lego Batman on the PC with our two 3 year old boys. I took a quick look and said that I didn't think they should be playing it (the imagery, getting them into sitting in front of a computer at this age) etc.
DH was immediately on the defensive - have you got a problem with lego now?
AIBU??

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 09-Oct-11 18:34:49

YABU. 3 year-olds aren't going to be interested in it for long so I don't think it's getting them 'used' to anything. PC skills like mouse control come in handy when they get to school. Plus it's something they're having fun with as a group activity with Dad. As long as they do a good range of other things as well, try to keep it in perspective.

Curlybrunette Sun 09-Oct-11 18:50:05

My life has been taken over my lego star wars. This afternoon I had ds1 (5) playing it on my laptop and ds2 (almost 4) playing it on the wii.

I've accepted now that they are going to play computers so as long as it is for a controlled amount of time the amount of time they can play can depend on hangover/tiredness/if it's OU assignment time

It took me a while feeling comfortable with them playing it for some reason, as I said I'm at the acceptance stage at the moment.

picnicbasketcase Sun 09-Oct-11 18:57:43

They won't have the concentration at that age to do it for long, it's probably a case of them enjoying the colours and pictures - they won't turn into tiny couch potatoes if you don't let them. Do they ever watch TV for a short while? I don't think there's a lot of difference. My three year old sometimes has a go at playing DS games, but she gets bored and wanders off to find a different book/toy after a few minutes.

exoticfruits Sun 09-Oct-11 19:11:06

Just do plenty of other things. At 3 yrs they are not going to stick at it for long.

JeanBodel Sun 09-Oct-11 19:11:43

My son was playing a computer game at nursery at that age. I actually think that learning to use a mouse and keyboard is at least as important as learning to hold a pen.

So long as it's for a sensible amount of time and an appropriate program, I can't see the problem.

SeeingDouble Sun 09-Oct-11 20:04:50

OK thanks all for the perspective. Too tired to be rational at the moment. The boys do do loads of other things and playing computer games per se isn't so bad. However, have to say that I think 3 is still too young for this particular game.

ChippingIn Sun 09-Oct-11 20:07:49

I can't comment on the game as I haven't seen it - but it's Lego, I'm sure that even if they are too young to play it properly it can't be doing them any harm. It's not like they're playing an R18.

I think as long as it's only one of a big range of things they do, then there's no harm in it, especially if Dad's playing too!

TastyMuffins Sun 09-Oct-11 20:15:06

Not unreasonable, they are too young for this IMO. Educational computer games they play at nursery are totally different to these kind of games. Fast paced computer games are not teaching them any skills they need and AFAIK there is no benefit to children in playing these especially so young.

weeonion Sun 09-Oct-11 20:22:19

YANBU - i think they are too young. is the age restriction not 7 for this kind of game. there are many other games which are age appropriate for them.

pictish Sun 09-Oct-11 20:27:31

Meh...it's not something I'd get my knickers in a knot over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now