Talk

Advanced search

I just had a potentially scary lesson. Never assume that any other adult knows how to use a piece of equipment, no matter how obvious it seems.

(32 Posts)
BranchingOut Sat 08-Oct-11 10:30:49

We went out last night and my son's grandmother was due to put him to bed.

I explained that she needed to take off the bed-guard and then put it back once he was asleep. This bed guard is fixed with clips at the side.

THis bed guard clicks into place, but (not realising this) what she did was to slide it out, including the base and some straps which can be used to fix it to the bottom of beds. SHe then slid it back in under the mattress and I realised just now that, of course, the straps didn't go back under properly so overnight there was a loop of strapping right beside where he was sleeping. Obviously he could have got his arm caught or worse. sad

My blood is running cold. I thought that she knew how to use the bed guard as it has been up for a couple of weeks when she has been putting him down for naps - but she was lifting him over it and had never taken it off before. I feel very guilty for not double-checking, letting my son down by not going into the detail.

I am writing this to get it out of my system and for the benefit of any other parents. Bed guards, car seats, prams, slings - any equipment, if it involves your baby or toddler don't assume anything. sad

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 08-Oct-11 10:33:11

I think you shouldn't overreact. Everyone makes mistakes and 99.9% of the time there's no real harm done. 'Blood running cold' is a little extreme

BranchingOut Sat 08-Oct-11 10:41:00

Well, that is what I am feeling. Choking and strangulation are the main cause of accidental death for children under 5 - I happened to find the stats a couple of weeks ago.

I am not going to give her a hard time about it. The fault is mine.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 08-Oct-11 10:56:05

Don't give yourself a hard time either but look around at any other equipment you've got and ask yourself if it's actually necessary. I've never personally owned a bed-guard... is there a need for that?

MinnieBar Sat 08-Oct-11 11:01:43

Sounds a rather complicated bed guard - I wouldn't know how to operate one like that.

So not obvious, not her fault.

fatcaaah Sat 08-Oct-11 11:04:27

Why do you have to take it off then put it back on?

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Sat 08-Oct-11 11:07:16

Sounds like a stupidly designed bed guard tbh.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 08-Oct-11 11:09:18

Given that the badly-dismantled bed-guard constitutes a choking risk, would it be better to leave it off all together and take the much smaller risk of a child (I'm assuming) rolling out and falling a few inches onto the floor.... ?

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Sat 08-Oct-11 11:20:09

You are right though of course, OP.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Sat 08-Oct-11 11:20:15

You are right though of course, OP.

booyhoo Sat 08-Oct-11 11:23:53

OP there are far simpler and safer bed guards available for not too much money. for your own peace of mind, get one and get rid of this thing with teh straps. you will not relax if she ever watches him again. not even that, what if he manages to un hook the straps himself. get rid of that guard.

BranchingOut Sat 08-Oct-11 11:28:15

Thanks for messages.

Am thinking of cutting off the straps as the bed guard should still function properly without them. When it is used properly it is fine, but obviously if not then problems emerge....I guess that's why they call them accidents.

We got the bed guard after he did roll out of bed when co-sleeping and got a nasty cut on the edge of the bed (not his cot).

HoneyPablo Sat 08-Oct-11 11:33:21

Agree with corgito

ebbandflow Sat 08-Oct-11 11:36:09

I have also never used a bedguard, I'd be quite worried about those strap loops. I'd get rid of the bedguard if I was you.

ChippingIn Sat 08-Oct-11 11:37:17

Why did you insist she undid it and re did it when she had been happily lifting him over it?

It really is an 'Oh bugger' not a 'blood running cold' thing though - maybe you need to look at your reaction to this. Blood running cold is when they run into the road & a car narrowly avoids hitting them, you are going to be in a right state by the time he starts school if you react to a non event like this sad

Trills Sat 08-Oct-11 11:39:44

Doesn't sound in the slightest bit obvious - so yes you should remember that things you have done a million times are simple because you have done them a million times, not because they are actually simple.

I agree with ChippingIn that you sound overly anxious.

BranchingOut Sat 08-Oct-11 11:49:47

It was this one:

www.amazon.co.uk/BabyDan-Wooden-Bed-Guard-White/dp/B001CRA5QO

I am quite risk averse and having children has brought this out in me.

So no one else suffers from constant morbid images of accidents befalling their children? (hopefully half joking)

BranchingOut Sat 08-Oct-11 11:50:58

I click it in and out each night as part of our going to bed routine, so I was explaining to her how I normally do it.

Llanarth Sat 08-Oct-11 11:52:27

have you seen the foam bedguards you can get?

http://www.bed-guards.co.uk/

omnishambles Sat 08-Oct-11 11:57:58

Is this bedguard on your bed or on a toddler bed - your own bed is one thing as it is higher up but we have never used one on a toddler bed or single bed and both of mine have been in non-cot beds quite early.

When we go to other peoples house or on holiday we just pile up some cushions on the floor.

I do worry a lot about things happening to the dc - I think that's normal and not something you can control but what you can do is work on your reaction to that fear and how you cope with it.

Floggingmolly Sat 08-Oct-11 11:58:28

Why on earth do you click it in and out as part of your going to bed routine? That sounds both unneccessary and bizarre, to be honest?

HoneyPablo Sat 08-Oct-11 11:59:11

BranchingOut
You are the perfect person to answer the questions posed on my thread
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/parenting/1316671-Help-Need-your-thoughts-on-risky-play-for-my-dissertation-proposal
I would appreciate your views.

ScaredTEECat Sat 08-Oct-11 12:01:16

Looking at that picture, what straps are you talking about? Is it fitted correctly that there are straps hanging off?

Much better to get one of these: that folds down when not in use.

And I agree, you do need to relax a bit. Of course others have visions of what might have been but not constantly. It's the word constantly that makes your reaction a bit extreme.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 08-Oct-11 12:06:03

"So no one else suffers from constant morbid images of accidents befalling their children? (hopefully half joking)"

Of course we do. But we have to evaluate whether it is irrational anxiety or a rational concern in order to assess and deal with risk appropriately. It's a balance.

booyhoo Sat 08-Oct-11 12:41:28

OP never mind what sort the bed guard is, just get rid of it, it is causing you too much unneccessary anxiety. just dump it and but the simple folding kind. there are no straps or clicking to worry about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now