Talk

Advanced search

TV or Xbox 360

(7 Posts)
Tak3n Thu 06-Oct-11 17:26:52

Hi

Would really appreciate an outside opinion to an ongoing disagreement between me and OH...

Firstly we are not "perfect parents" we do as many others let our DS watch TV, for about 1.5 hours a day, however recently he has wanted to play on the Xbox. The thing is he is only 3 years old..

At first we did not think of allowing it, however he is scarily good for a 3 year old, and is quite simply amazing watching him as he does all the right things etc. Obviously he is only being allowed to play "kids" games.

The problem we have is my OH hates it, and I mean strongly disagrees with it, I on the other hand dont see it as an issue, as long as he does not do both. i.e he can either play xbox or watch TV, I kind of think if he is playing the xbox at least his brain is being worked and his hand eye co-ordination, my OH thinks it is the devil in carnate.

Would really like some outside views as if I am wildly off acceptable I will take it away.

Timeoutofmind Thu 06-Oct-11 19:05:50

I don't see a problem as long as he only plays games suitable for his age, and it is instead of his tv time, not as well as!

GeneralDisarray Fri 07-Oct-11 00:20:35

from a point of ignorance I would agree that xbox would be better than tv for him! Don't see an issue - out of interest if your OH is so anti-xbox why do you have one, are you a gamer or him?

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 07-Oct-11 06:59:21

I remember DS that age loving moving the computer mouse around and seeing things happen on the screen. As long as it's part of a bigger mix of activities, I don't see that there's any problem.

An0therName Fri 07-Oct-11 12:59:12

I think of it as total screen time - so for me a bit of tv and a bit of computer game would be fine -so long as age appropiate of course. My DS loved the cbeebies website at that age - the only thing I would say is that my DS loves the Wii (older than 3) but it does tend to wind him up - eg grumpy during or after - so we do have to restrict it for that reason.

LikeABlackFlameCandleBNQ Fri 07-Oct-11 18:52:57

tbh, game console / tv are much the same. If you do one, why not do the other. However, I do think the games avaliable for the xbox are in the main not really suitable for a 3 year old. Anyone you know have an old Playstation 1 or similar? they have lots of 'simpler' platform games which seem more child friendly?

Octaviapink Fri 07-Oct-11 18:55:10

I agree that it should be part of his total screen time, and that something he can interact with is better than just TV. There are lots of good independent games designed for small children that you can download. My only query would be the amount of time - an hour and a half a day seems like a lot for a 3 year old. I'd be inclined to limit that to half an hour tops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now