Talk

Advanced search

Best colic tips

(10 Posts)
shufflebum Thu 06-Oct-11 11:35:14

DS2 is 3 weeks and I'm struggling a little, DS1 was very easy in comparison.
I haven't taken him to the GP as I think I'll just get fobbed off and told he will grow out of it which I know he will but that doesn't make it any easier at the moment!
He is mixed fed on demand which is roughly every 2 hours. He mainly has expressed milk as he gets too stroppy to feed from me without us both getting upset. We use Dr Browns bottles, Infacol and Cow and Gate comfort milk all of which I think help but any other tips would be appreciated.
I also massage his tummy and wind him regualrly during a feed.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 06-Oct-11 12:46:01

Keep winding. My bottle-fed baby was a one-boy wind machine and I remember spending what felt like hours every evening holding him up under the armpits with one hand and rubbing/patting his back with the other. Infacol was no use whatsoever. Just had to keep going until the bluish/greyish top lip or pulling up of legs stopped. It does stop eventually but I can't remember what age. Good luck

SoylentClean Thu 06-Oct-11 15:16:58

Mine had colic and it was nothing short of awful, these are my top tips:

invest in a baby sling like a Mai Tei where baby can be upright and cuddled at the same time. Use this whenever your sanity is threatened!

hold them in the 'tiger in a tree' position

lay them on their back and cycle their legs

Swaddled for naps, try a zip up swaddle pod (google it)

try a baby bouncer or swing

calm them down next to the washing machine or kettle, anything that makes white noise, you can buy a CD of white noise too. We put a detuned radio in the bedroom which really helped.

try a dummy if you want to

baths in a tummy tub worked well

lynlynnicebutdim Thu 06-Oct-11 15:18:20

chamomile tea. If you are breastfeeding, drink it yourself and your LO will get the benefits. If you are formula feeding, make the formula up with the tea.

It works a miracle for windy colicky babies and is a age old tradition in Europe.

twinklespeciallyforlittlegirls Fri 07-Oct-11 05:59:11

Colief, Colief, Colief! Miracle stuff. Ring your HV or surgery this morning and ask about local policy, where I live they will prescribe it for the baby as it is about £11 a bottle to buy. Some of the GPs ask that you buy and try first, then if it has a good effect they will prescribe (which is fair enough).

You can buy the same stuff but non-branded, online for less £££ if you can't get it prescribed, I think.

Warm baths in a bucket help too - tummy submerged in the warm water and baby upright. I had a Tummy Tub from John Lewis and lo loved it til she wouldn't fit in it properly any more at about 8 months, but loads of people slag them off and say they are a waste of money. You can just use a bucket smile

Vix286 Fri 07-Oct-11 10:16:46

Agree with twinkle - Colief!

Cheapest I have found it is Boots at £10.99, elsewhere is £11.99. Managed to get 2 bottles on prescription from a locum dr!

It is a pain when bf-ing to mix up a bit of expressed milk in a pot, but I use a medicine syringe to squirt it into dd's mouth and she now sucks on it as she knows what it is.

A dummy really helped as well.

shufflebum Fri 07-Oct-11 21:42:22

Some great advice thanks, the Colief does sound like a complete faff but more so for the formula feeds. I can't imagine waiting around with him screaming in my ear for half an hour.
Must get DH to sort out his ipod for the white noise again as it worked really well for DS1.
Any more tips welcome, he just seems to want to feed constantly all evening and night and is too stressed to feed from me so I just end up giving him a bottle but at least I'm expressing so he is getting some breast milk.

ellesabe Sun 09-Oct-11 20:57:36

My advice is to keep trying different things until you find one that works for you and your baby. For my dd she only stopped crying if she was suspended mid-air held under the armpits or if she was sucking my little finger! I think I spent the first 5 weeks of her life alternating between the two smile

I also agree with all of soylentclean's suggestions. TRY EVERYTHING!

shufflebum Sun 09-Oct-11 21:21:40

Having read a bit more I'm now not sure if it might be silent reflux rather than colic. Am going to try and get at appointment with the gp this week and try not to get fobbed off.

DialMforMummy Sun 09-Oct-11 22:05:10

Cranial osteopathy. Was massively sceptical, but worked a treat. Beats all the rest hands down! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now