Talk

Advanced search

Would you wake a sleeping 6.5 month old from a nap?

(15 Posts)
Beaurevage Thu 06-Oct-11 10:59:47

Just curious.

My DS still has irregular naps during the day. Sometimes the morning nap is only 45 minutes, other times it's two hours.

Like today. He went down (finally) around 9:15am and is still sleeping, it's 11am now. Thing is we had a 'class' this morning at 11 (am obviously missing it) but I didn't want to wake him for it. Would you have?

planetpotty Thu 06-Oct-11 11:04:24

I have a 6.5 mths old also, its a lovely age I think grin

Ummm my DD (the 6.5 mth) does not really do clubs blush we just fit in around DS 2 years stuff and she comes along to that anyway im rambling.....

When DS was this age we did waterbabies and yes I would have woken him for that but maybe not something like rhyme time.

My DD is a bit all over the place with her routine at the mo to...there is a routine there but its not as defined as it has been. I think they go through a big change soon with the start of food and crawling and its all part of that.

This post is a real ramble ...... I have not been at the gin honest!!!

feelingratheroverwhelmed Thu 06-Oct-11 11:15:48

No I wouldn't have, but then I was particularly anal about sleep! When DS was tiny there'd often be plans made amongst the mums I know to go here and there, and then texts would be sent just before the groups started saying " x is still asleep so won't make it, prob see you later". It was really common.

DS is nearly two now and I''ll only wake him from a nap if I absolutely have to, and some days he'll sleep for 3.5hrs!

I suppose if depends on your priorities. I really needed DS to have a good nap / naps for my sanity TBH, so was happy to miss out on stuff.

HettyAmaretti Thu 06-Oct-11 11:18:54

No I wouldn't. No chance. I would wake him after 3 hours though - both my DC's sleep went crazy if I ever let them sleep longer than that in the day.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 06-Oct-11 12:47:41

I avoided waking sleeping DS at all costs. If I thought I could get him in the car or whatever still asleep, I'd give it a go. But waking him up before he was ready and he would scream blue murder and be a grumpy bugger all day. Just wasn't worth it smile

nethunsreject Thu 06-Oct-11 12:49:12

No, definitely not at that age.

Beaurevage Thu 06-Oct-11 15:03:07

Good good, I wouldn't have either. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a wuss or PFB or something. smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 06-Oct-11 15:55:55

Not wussy at all. There are some things you either know not to do, or you do them once and swear never to do it again.... poking a wasps' nest with a stick, waking a happily sleeping baby, visiting Blackpool... etc.

Beaurevage Thu 06-Oct-11 17:06:42

Now I just need to convince my DH of this. Although he did witness a 2 yo being woken from a nap last weekend who proceeded to scream the house down for the next 45 minutes and he was a little bit more convinced!

WidowWadman Thu 06-Oct-11 17:20:25

I personally would have never missed a class or appointment because my child slept - but usually they happily continue their nap in the carseat/pushchair/pram so it never was a problem.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 07-Oct-11 08:08:16

nope, at six months my DS was finally napping for more than half an hour at a time and so not overtired and miserable, it's only now, as he approaches three, that I wake him after two hours.

But then the early months of walking him for hours in the buggy to try to keep him asleep had the benefit that if he needed his nap at a later age he would sleep happily anywhere - so long as I remembered the dummy - so we could still make coffee dates etc, but I wouldn't have woken him for ANYTHING

diyqueen Fri 07-Oct-11 09:44:51

I have a 6mo dd, and sometimes wake her up, but very gently! If we have somewhere to go I'll walk around upstairs and make a bit of noise, put laundry away in the room she's snoozing in etc, and quite often she'll stir and wake up without any fuss. If she sleeps through the disruption though I'll leave her be as she's obviously deeply asleep.

Octaviapink Fri 07-Oct-11 19:05:32

Not under any circumstances!

ellesabe Sun 09-Oct-11 21:05:28

I regularly wake mine up from naps if we need to be somewhere and she never minds in the slightest. In fact I am usually rewarded with an enormous grin smile I think it totally depends on your baby though and on your circumstances.

Pavlovthecat Sun 09-Oct-11 21:06:52

i was going to say never. But, if we need to get out of the car, or into the car and timed it wrong, then yes I would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now