Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Having some trouble with my Babasling...

(13 Posts)
GeneralDisarray Wed 05-Oct-11 21:07:33

Can any supermums help?? baby disarray is 4 weeks old and will only be held upright - the sling says she can be like this from new born but I just can't seem to a)get her head supported and b)stop her slipping to the side thats not on my shoulder? What am I doing wrong?? She is a v cuddly baby and trying to balance her on one arm all the time and carry on with life is a bit tricky!!
If this is a babasling issue (rather than a disarray-can't-read-instructions issue) what other slings do we recommend for little ones? I don't trust myself with anything that I need to wrap or knot myself!!

mamadoc Wed 05-Oct-11 21:53:17

I am by no means a sling guru but I had a babasling for DD (DC1) and it wasn't much good when she was newborn (better as she got older and could hold her own head up).
This time round with DS (DC2) I've got a Moby wrap which I've used on him almost since birth and it is soooo much better. I put him in a hug hold which is upright and it holds him close to my chest and supports his head. Like you I was afraid of the complicated seeming wrapping the first time round but honestly its a piece of cake when you practise a few times. I looked at the videos on their website, got instruction from a friend and put it on in front of the mirror. Its so good that I hardly bother with the pram these days.
So I would say get yourself a Moby.

sparklytoes Wed 05-Oct-11 22:00:30

We have used the close sling since birth, its been fab as well. No wrapping involved as there are rings that you pull the fabric through. Very cosy and easy to keep dd's head supported. We had bought a babasling, but couldn't get on with it at all. My friend gave us the close one and it is great. You can see a video on youtube about using it, very simple. Good luck, I am definitely a sling convert!

Sparklyboots Wed 05-Oct-11 23:52:02

<nods admiringly at Ms Toes' toes> Another vote for a stretchy wrap (like a Moby) here. Tie it onto yourself, pop baby in. My friend really liked her wrapsohdy (sp, soz). Also consider going to a Slingmeet, where lots of enthusiastic sling-types will have lots of different types of sling for you to try and will help you use them correctly.

Sleepglorioussleep Thu 06-Oct-11 13:07:24

I have an upright loving baby too. Have a pouch style sling a bit like baba sling, and it's useful round the house to give my arm a rest but not really hands free. When we do school run I use Kari me stretchy wrap. Littlepossums.co.uk are really good both for advice and ordering. Used them several times abs they were super speedy and helpful. I don't work for them grin

lucindapie Thu 06-Oct-11 15:35:13

Hi Mamadoc,

I also have a moby, and although I'm finding it easy to use tie for my 5 week daughter, I have some problems getting her in there. As soon as she is on my chest she smells my boobs and gets hungry, but I really find it hard to breastfeed when she is up by my chin and my boobs are down by my chest! I know you're supposed to be able to breastfeed in the sling but I can't seem to manage it. Any suggestions?

misshoohaa Thu 06-Oct-11 15:47:51

We have a babasling as I was a bit daunted by the wrap slings but still haven't found it particularly useful, my little one likes little joey when I'm doing chores but I don't feel like he's particularly secure. We have found the baby bjorn much more user friendly, I like the way it's nice and secure and baby loves it.

Loopymumsy Thu 06-Oct-11 20:18:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NinkyNonker Thu 06-Oct-11 20:53:31

I tried a baby bjorn with dd when she was 4 months and it was so uncomfortable, I then saw lots of reports saying they weren't great for the babies so I'm glad I never pursued it.

I used a stretchy wrap from about 2 days, and still carry my 14 month old in a woven wrap now. I find them so useful, definitely a great skill to learn.

NinkyNonker Thu 06-Oct-11 20:54:12

Oh yes, and I have a Beco which is like the Manduca.

Sophiesworld Fri 07-Oct-11 20:21:34

The close carrier is a good option if you don't want to be tying a wrap sling. It took me 3 or 4 attempts so do persevere because I'm really glad I did. I still don't get it quite right every time, but when I do it's really comfy and convenient and dd loves it. I do have to keep walking or she fusses though.

mamadoc Sat 08-Oct-11 00:07:56

lucindapie- I can't bf in my Moby either although I know you are supposed to be able to. I think you have to do the more horizontal cradle hold rather than the upright hug hold but I haven't tried it. I can't imagine how you'd manage to undo bra/ pull up clothing or swop sides. Sorry not to be more helpful.

Sophiesworld Sat 08-Oct-11 10:03:41

Sorry, should have said I haven't managed feeding in the close carrier. I can't really see how that would work either, even in the across body position. It took me a few goes just to get her positioned comfortably in the upright position for carrying but once I did it was great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now