Talk

Advanced search

Skype equipment - what do you use?

(10 Posts)
Erac Mon 03-Oct-11 19:50:17

Not sure where to post this, but would love any suggestions.

We want to Skype our long distance relatives so that they can see the baby "in person". We have 2 headsets, but getting a 7 month old to wear a headset so that she can hear her Grandma is becoming quite a frustrating comedy routine.

Clearly we need some sort of Skype speakerphone, but the ones on the Skype's site run over 100 pounds. Any suggestions on a cheaper option?

InmaculadaConcepcion Mon 03-Oct-11 20:29:03

What type of computer are you using? Our MacBook has its own built-in camera and microphone, so we don't need any extra equipment, which has been ideal for DD being able to interact with people on Skype. I suspect a lot of other computers, especially laptops will be the same....

Octaviapink Tue 04-Oct-11 07:18:02

You can buy a plain old set of computer speakers that amplify the sound coming out of the computer - can you put Skype on 'speakerphone' so that it uses the computer's normal speaker? If so, then a set of speakers would work.

hayleysd Tue 04-Oct-11 07:21:48

I use my iPhone 4 that way you can point the camera where you want and use the front and back and no headset is needed we also have an iPad 2 and a 4th gen iPod and use them to skype between us if my dp is working sway etc, my friend borrowed it to skype family in Canada and said it was much easier than a laptop as she could follow her 2 year old round the room without having to make him sit and look at the laptop. Maybe doesn't help if you dont have any of these.

PotteringAlong Tue 04-Oct-11 07:23:54

We got a camera off eBay for £10 and the speakers were built in.

Try eBay?

Byeckerslike Tue 04-Oct-11 07:44:04

I have a web cam that sits on top of the monitor, and the sound comes out of the speakers

Byeckerslike Tue 04-Oct-11 07:44:24

The computers speakers, not the webcams....

TastyMuffins Tue 04-Oct-11 07:49:38

Macbook, iPad or iPhone, never tried with a headset which may actually make it easier to hear my parents when DS is jabbering away next to me.

LiegeAndLief Tue 04-Oct-11 21:48:00

We have a normal set of computer speakers and a free standing microphone, although recently got a new webcam which has a microphone built in. You definitely don't need a special Skype speakerphone (not sure what that is), any old speakers will do.

If you go to Tools>Options>Audio settings on Skype, you can change where the sound comes out (iyswim). So if your computer has inbuilt speakers you can "redirect" the sound there instead of your headset.

Erac Tue 04-Oct-11 22:02:10

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. If it's as simple as using the equipment already on my laptop and maybe buying some speakers, I'll be both elated and slightly embarrassed for overlooking the obvious. And if that doesn't work, then it's a great excuse to get an iPad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now