Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

child benefits? am clueless how/what should I get?

(5 Posts)
mamaesi Sun 02-Oct-11 08:45:59

Not sure where to post this question but it has been called to my attention that I could be missing out on some desperately needed money. I am not from the UK so I am new to all this system...

After working for several years, I am now staying at home with my 1.5 year old and am pregnant with number two. My husband is self employed and earns around 35K.

Are we entitled to any help as we are really struggling with london living?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 02-Oct-11 09:32:45

If you have an income of £35k then the answer is probably 'no' beyond the universal 'Child Benefit' to which everyone is currently entitled regardless of income. But you can check the Turn 2 Us Benefits Checker to be sure.

The best advice I can give you is to not live in the Greater London area. Train links are excellent from places as far afield as Peterborough and living costs tend to be cheaper the further out of London you go.

An0therName Sun 02-Oct-11 21:23:50

I think - although I am not 100% sure how it works if you are not from the UK - you should be getting child benifit and probably some tax credit - I think the limit for tax credit is 40 k - its not loads though

this is a very good website about managing your money

mamaesi Mon 03-Oct-11 12:24:24

I have become a british citizen.

How do I get the child benefit and do I get more when my second child is born?

An0therName Mon 03-Oct-11 12:50:54

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: