Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

best car for 3 children, not a people carrier?

(22 Posts)
Melissad Fri 30-Sep-11 13:36:16

Hi, I drive a Renault Scenic (lots of problems with it in the past, but OK at moment thank god) and am 31 weeks pregnant with our third child. We want to get another car (dh had a Mondeo until it was written off in an accident a few weeks back). We're keeping the Scenic at least until no.3 is old enough to get in and out of car without help. We want a car which we can get 5 people into comfortably and which is not a people carrier, MPV/SUV etc...and preferably German or Japanese (defo not a Renault!) Any tips? Are we asking too much?
Thanks

neolara Fri 30-Sep-11 13:40:23

We have a volkwagen Touran, which may technically be a people carrier, but doesn't feel like one. It feels and looks like a normal, big car - sort of the same size as a ford focus, just a bit wider. It has big boot, 2 extra seat should you need them, and fits 3 car seats comfortably. We really like it.

mollschambers Fri 30-Sep-11 13:40:43

Mazda 6 is quite roomy. We manage three DC's in back and have done through all car seat combo's.

niamh29 Fri 30-Sep-11 16:03:05

We have a 5yo, 2yo and 6mo and we got a ford C-max, carries the 5 of us very comfortably and was the only car my DH was happy with cause it doesn't look like a "mammy van"

niamh29 Fri 30-Sep-11 16:04:02

BTW: I have a Citroen xsara Picasso which is great and has never given me any trouble in 4 years!

raindroprhyme Fri 30-Sep-11 16:04:37

volvo v70

raindroprhyme Fri 30-Sep-11 16:07:19

it is roomy enough for 3 car seats 2 dogs and luggage, we also have the option of 2 seats in the boot which is handy.
It is lovely to drive and is easy to drive around town and on motorway. I also don't feel i have to justify filling it up with children for short journeys as it is relatively economical.

Melissad Fri 30-Sep-11 18:21:18

thanks guys; good ideas there! I love the Mazda 6, so that's worth a test drive. We also like Volkswagens. I quite like the large Golf Estate. I'm a big fan of the Ford C Max (and Fords in general) but I know my husband will think it's too close to a people carrier for his liking!! I might try and sell the idea to him a different way!

dottynosleep Fri 30-Sep-11 22:46:33

We had a volvo v70 when we had three & I loved it.

frenchfancy Sat 01-Oct-11 07:31:31

Toyota verso. We have the 7 seat option, the 2 extra seats fold completely in the back so they don't get in the way at all.

Very pleased with it.

Hassled Sat 01-Oct-11 07:34:27

We have Honda FRV. 3 seats across the front, 3 across the back. We love it - has served us well, no major problems at all.

camdancer Sat 01-Oct-11 08:08:46

We have a Ford S-max. Lots of bhp - enough for DH to really enjoy ragging driving it.

insanityscratching Sat 01-Oct-11 08:49:35

We have a Vauxhall Insignia and comfortably fit two teens and an eight year old in the back.

mollschambers Sat 01-Oct-11 09:49:10

I'd love an S-max. Mazda 5 is nice too. Maybe to people carrier like for OP but I like it because it doesn't seem as high as most.

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 01-Oct-11 09:53:58

I have a passat estate- it is fine, drives well and plenty of space. Bit unexciting though!

BlueberryPancake Sat 01-Oct-11 10:08:25

Go Mazda 6! wide enough to put three car seats at the back, and you could fit your bedroom in the trunk.

betterwhenthesunshines Sun 02-Oct-11 11:05:41

We had a Renault Laguna that was nothing but trouble and swore we'd never have a Renault again, but when we were looking for a kids car there was nothing to beat the Renault Grand Scenic (marginally longer with an extra 2 seats in the bcak). It's not too huge, all the seats move independently, including the front one which folds flat and i LOVE LOVE LOVE the keyless open/ lock thing which is just brilliant when you have your hands full of children/ bags /coats etc And we haven't had any problems with it in 5 years.

spottypancake Sun 02-Oct-11 11:09:53

I would go for a medium-large estate car. You must check that you can get three suitable carseats across the back before buying though! How old is eldest?

teacherwith2kids Sun 02-Oct-11 11:23:38

Another vote for Mazda 6 - we have the estate. It's a 'proper car' but swallows children and luggage amazingly well.

We looked at lots of estates before we bought it. Originally we fancied the Volvo BUT found that the legroom in the back is restricted by a strange 'bar' under the front seats which means that the rear passengers can't get their feet underneath properly

As this is a car we bought when DS was 4 and intend to have until he is a teenager (he's almost certain to be well over 6 foot) this ruled it out for us.

mamasunshine Mon 03-Oct-11 17:21:12

We have 3 and a VW touran, lots of room, but car not too big.

CODwidow Mon 03-Oct-11 17:24:15

We have 4 dc's and we have a Peugeot 307 estate, with 7 seats it's brill and it means when their all at school I feel as if I have a "normal" sized car

Melissad Sat 08-Oct-11 20:45:09

well, we bought a Mazda 6 Sport today, very happy! Thanks for your advice guys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now