Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My one year old slaps. How do I get him to stop?

(7 Posts)
YouHaveNoPowerOverMe Tue 27-Sep-11 08:32:56

My two year old can be a little bugger at times with pushing boundaries and testing out rules but he's never hit or bitten anyone so this is all new to me.

My 13month old slaps people in the face when they are holding him/ he's on their lap (including me and Dp) He does it when he's excited and thinks it's a game but I want him to stop.

When he does it, I hold his hands and say No that's not nice but he just laughs (thinks it's part of his game maybe?) I've tried taking his hands and stroking my face with them saying "gentle hands" but as soon as you let go he just slaps again. I've tried putting him down where he can't reach me when he does it but he cries and looks really confused like he doesn't understand why.

I know he's young and he doesn't understand but is there anything else I can do to stop it?

Is it just a "this too shall pass" phase. I'd like to hope it is and he'll stop as soon as he started but otoh I don't want him to get into the habit of thinking it's ok to slap/hit people and thinking it's bloody hilarious to do so!

Any idea's please?

beakinthebeeswax Tue 27-Sep-11 10:13:57

I will be watching this thread eagerly as my little treasure does the same. They think its a game, they too young to understand! People will think my baby is naughty! He also thinks it is funny to attack his poor father mercilessly! I just keep repeating "No, Gentle, gentle" In the hope he will grasp it is wrong.
He is otherwise a very clever healthy boy, he is just playful.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 27-Sep-11 14:26:51

Hold his wrists a little tighter, say 'no' with a suitably stern expression and tone of voice and then put him somewhere away from you. If he cries, leave him be for a minute or two to quiet down. Once quiet pick him up again, smiling and saying what a lovely baby he is. If the slapping starts again, repeat.

The association you're trying to create is.... slapping = frowns and no attention, gentle behaviour = lots of smiles and attention.

MamaMary Tue 27-Sep-11 14:29:20

My 14mo DD slaps and grabs faces. Particularly other children. I think it's because she's excited but my DH said he was sure he saw a look of 'menace' in her face - not sure I believe that!

We grab her hand and sternly tell her 'no'. She normally cries for a short period and is then fine. We're hoping it will pass soon too!

nametapes Tue 27-Sep-11 14:36:34

Look really stern/cross when he does hit/slap/ , tell him firmly NO and grab his little hands to stop him doing it. He hasnt got the self discipline to stop as he is so young.
Babies after 9 months do tend to understand the word "No". He will eventually realise why he is put down after slapping. At this age he has very little self control, and cant help his behaviour, but he will soon twig what is right and wrong, if you persist. Never laugh when he thinks its funny, infact look really sad. He will continue to laugh if you just say gently "no, thats not nice" You will have to be much more stern. He will cry because you are cross with hi, but it wont last long...
Good luck.

cheeseandmarmitesandwich Tue 27-Sep-11 19:14:16

My 15mo DD is the same! Last night I also resorted to sitting her on the floor and ignoring her after 'no' didn't work and she got so upset even though it was just for 10 seconds or so. But she hasn't done it today so maybe it did the trick <hopeful>

cheeseandmarmitesandwich Tue 27-Sep-11 19:14:16

My 15mo DD is the same! Last night I also resorted to sitting her on the floor and ignoring her after 'no' didn't work and she got so upset even though it was just for 10 seconds or so. But she hasn't done it today so maybe it did the trick <hopeful>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now