Talk

Advanced search

can a newborn sleep TOO much

(3 Posts)
notveryinventive Mon 26-Sep-11 20:43:16

Hi,

My DC3 is 4 days old and has slept quite a lot. Yesterday was the first time she was awake for more than half an hour at once, but today she has not really been awake since half 8 AM. She has woken up for feeds (sometimes we have to help her wake up), but has fallen asleep mid-feed which has led to her not feeding much. For this reason I am trying to wake her every 3 hours, instead of 4 to get enough nutrients in her.

I dont know if I should be worried or not. I've tried to look it up, but I keep getting the "you know your baby" line, which is fine, but as she is only 4 days old, im not sure if its normal as she is no different today than the last couple of days. Also I cant find much about too much sleep, only tips to get them to sleep and tips to wake her, such as changing a nappy or taking off a layer, but this is fine then 5 mins or so into feeding she's fast asleep and not feeding anymore.

My midwife is coming tomorrow to weigh her, but should I ring someone now? She doesnt have a high temp, she is just difficult to wake to give her a good feed. I did read that her nappies should be OK which they are (ie weeing and pooing). She just seems very sleepy and not very alert.

Should I be worried?

Georgimama Mon 26-Sep-11 20:46:41

My DD was very very sleepy as a newborn and she lost quite a lot of weight (about 11% if I recall correctly - it was only 8 weeks ago I ought to be more precise!) going from 6lb 10 to 5lb 15 oz when she was weighed on day 3. I forcefed nursed her with lots of skin to skin that night as I was worried and she put on about 6oz overnight.

If she is being weighed tomorrow I would just wake her every three hours for a feed and see what the weigh in brings. DD is 8 weeks now and becoming much more alert and engaged but she is still a champion sleeper. Perhaps we just have 2 easy, contented babies?

pictish Mon 26-Sep-11 20:50:27

Well....my newborn dd was the same....slept and slept and slept, having to be woken for feeds.
I was quite suspect about it all as she is my third baby, and my mother's instinct said it wasn't quite right.
I consulted hv and gp only to be told that some newborns sleep more than others, and a few of them rather a lot.
It still niggled though, as her milk intake was so small.

I sought a further opinion, and as it turned out she had a chronic UTI and was really ill.

Get her checked out - it certainly can't do any harm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now