Talk

Advanced search

Big Family Holiday with a 6 week old

(7 Posts)
LikeACandleButNotQuite Mon 26-Sep-11 10:56:24

We have a pre-booked, UK, holiday next year, and my baby will be 6 weeks old, if s/he arrives on time. I feel like i'm having to metally prepare myself for that one week more than impending motherhood.

Am I being PFB to be a bit freaked out that DM has mentioned once or twice about "creeping into our bedroom to take the baby away so we can sleep"? Surely at 6wo, they should be either asleep, feeding (hoping to bf) or awake grizzling in which case I'll be awake anyways?

I also have a lovely uncle who has never had kids and is rather "seen and not heard" generation. He has, in the past been known to grumble about the kids on the holiday playing near him / in the same room, and am conscious he may spend a LOT of time muttering about how we should be doing things.

Thankfully, my DF is voice of reason, so I know he will be supoortive and should I need, speak with DM if I feel as if she is overstepping the mark.

I just don't want to rock the boat. We've been doing this holiday anually for over a decade and it works so well.

Any advice / experience of this out there?

LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Mon 26-Sep-11 10:59:59

I just came back from a big family holiday with my two DDs - 2 years and 3 months. Apart from everyone not getting on (nothing to do with the kids), it was fine. In fact, the children were the thing that pulled everyone together.

It will be fine. Nice to have time to either spend with your baby not having to do lots of stuff, or to have a little time to yourself, with enough people around to help.

Is this your first?

If it's a beach holiday, take a good beach shelter (PIL took one twice the size of ours and it was so much better - I could lie down and feed in the shade).

Don't worry about it, it'll be lovely smile

LikeACandleButNotQuite Mon 26-Sep-11 11:08:58

thanks for the reply, am sure I am fretting unnecessarily. Looking forward to a week of slobbing around with LO, doing very little. It is my first, so hoping people will be able to excuse my PFB-ness should it appear!

Its a cold, winter holiday, so baby will be in the sling under my coat when we go out anywhere.

Sleepglorioussleep Mon 26-Sep-11 13:53:24

Went for similar holiday when dd2 3 weeks old. Once established with a smile that I was hormonally challenged, was in charge of the baby and might throw a wobbly if anyone tried to do much with her without my say so, it was brilliant! Was looked after, had people to give me a rest when dd2 wouldn't be put down and other two had plenty to do. Just set your boundaries in a good natured way as lots of people wanting to cuddle, hold and bond with your baby can be overwhelming when you're really trying to do the same yourself. Dh was brilliant in helping with this.

Sophiesworld Fri 07-Oct-11 20:42:20

Dd1 is 6 weeks old and I can see you could really take advantage of the opportunity to let family look after you while you look after baby. I'm sure you will have a great time so relax and look forward to it!

LikeABlackFlameCandleBNQ Fri 07-Oct-11 20:54:13

haha, I should be looking at all the ways I can relax while having such a little one! Treck to the top of the Cairngorms today? No thanks, got duvet, dvds and scrmptious baby to snuggle with thanks, but have fun!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 07-Oct-11 21:21:40

agree with just setting your boundaries. DS had colic and screamed a lot, one of my fondest memories of my DF ever is him creeping into our bedroom when my folks came to stay when DS was two weeks olds, silently taking him out exhausted DH's arms, picking up the moses basket on his way out. We collapsed exhausted into bed. I woke up four hours later hearing DS's snuffling for a feed, was so comatose I hadn't noticed my parents replacing our finally sleeping baby back in our room.

we stayed at my parents' for christmas when DS was seven weeks and it was heaven having a week to do nothing but focus on our baby - we even had half a day off, I expressed and left enough milk to last several days so DH had our first few hours just us since DS was born, sorely needed....I intend to decamp my whole family to my mum's again this Christmas - well, she's asked us to come - as DC2 will be a month old max and I fully intend to take advantage of all the help offered and not have to lift a finger

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now