Talk

Advanced search

How can I entertain my 6 year old DD?

(7 Posts)
Mushes76 Sun 25-Sep-11 21:15:08

I have 2 DDs, 4 and 6. My 4 year old will play happily for ages with her dolls or dolls house and do puzzles, and generally entertains herself, but my 6 year old will read a book then be bored and only want to watch TV. I'm worried she's getting a bit lazy but she's tired after school and I don't know what to do with her to keep her busy. She's never been interested in playing as such, and I'm struggling to keep her entertained - although the TC programs she wants to watch are educational (she's a bright kid) and she has computer time but that's about all she wants to do. Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Mushes76 Sun 25-Sep-11 21:18:32

TV programs even! Any advice (!) would be much appreciated. Thanks.

cjbartlett Sun 25-Sep-11 21:20:22

Helping with cooking, writing shopping lists, give her a part of the garden to dig over, dusting

Or get her a ds lite grin

Does she like going on her bike?

cjbartlett Sun 25-Sep-11 21:21:18

Or clubs - rainbows, brownies, swimming, dance etc

Mushes76 Sun 25-Sep-11 21:26:08

She's just started going to Rainbows which she loves. She can ride her bike but is absolutely petrified of going on it - to the point yesterday (2nd time she went on it) that she was in tears and a complete state as she was scared of falling off even though I was right beside her. We went home and she got her scooter and was fine with that.

sommewhereelse Tue 27-Sep-11 08:00:06

Does she have trouble entertaining herself at weekends when she is not tired after a day at school?

DD is like this after school but is ok on weekends. I make sure she gets a bit of exercise (we have a trampoline so that's quite easy) and then let her chill out in front of the tv if she doesn't feel like reading. I don't see the problem if they are genuinely tired. She is getting really into card games too. I like that as a way to spend time together and sit on the sofa at the same time without a screen being involved.

sommewhereelse Tue 27-Sep-11 08:01:19

DD used to be scared of going on her bike so we got her some elbow and knee pads (for rollerblading) and it took away the feel of falling. She doesn't bother with them now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now