Talk

Advanced search

My 9.5 baby is mostly eating jacket potato...

(9 Posts)
Napdamnyou Sat 24-Sep-11 23:34:42

...and that's about it. Apart from BM on demand. He's getting over a cold virus and has popped 6 teeth so wasn't eating much at all last week. Now it's just potato (with butter and a bit of cheese) and a bit of cucumber, water, peach and sometimes a bite of omelette.

AIBU to think this is ok? And no point stressing? MIL is flapping but she's not keen on blw anyway...

Reasurrance needed...

Thanks

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Sun 25-Sep-11 00:47:04

Sounds fine to me. Very sensible of him to avoid hard food if he has new teeth!

If you're worried try and mash beans/peas etc into the potato. I used to do this with dd and macaroni cheese when she was being fussy. She never noticed the veg!

Provided he has wet nappies and seems bright as you would expect when teething with a cold, I wouldn't worry.

Sounds good to me! The BM will be providing most of what he needs anyway so no need to worry.

Napdamnyou Sun 25-Sep-11 01:51:05

Thank you v much!

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Sun 25-Sep-11 08:40:52

My 10.4 DD won't eat jacket pots, nor will she eat any of the other stuff he is eating. I am pretty envy of you.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 25-Sep-11 08:51:19

I think your baby's trying to tell you that they like soft food they don't have to chew much. BLW is fine but, if you'd like them to have a more varied diet, present it in a form they can tackle successfully or offer it on a spoon.

Octaviapink Sun 25-Sep-11 12:34:52

He's getting a pretty balanced diet - potatoes are nearly a complete food (I WISH I could get my 2 to eat them but they won't have them in any form) and he's getting other protein as well and some fruit. Agree you could try mashing peas into the potato or perhaps spinach (mine love spinach in pretty much anything) if you want him to have some veg, but keep trying him on chewy food and he'll go back to it. At 9.5m you could cut down the breastfeeds a bit as well, if he's snacking on you quite a bit. My DS (10m) has been having a feed before each nap and one before bed, so four during the day.

Napdamnyou Sun 25-Sep-11 16:36:25

He used to eat more variety than this so I think it's the new teeth and the sore throat and cough. Tbh when I have a cold I eat similar stuff, very bland. He's gone off banana, avocado, peanut butter, bolognaise, cheese chunks, yoghurt, crene fraivhe, tuna and Philly sandwiches, strawberries mangoes and buttered toast, and broccoli and carrot sticks which were all surefire hits until the teeth cold business started.

He hates spoons unless I'm eating with one and he can steal my food. Am a bit disheartened that for 10 days he's refused all his favourites but if he just wants spuds and not much else I guess we will roll with it and see if he can be tempted by stuff off my plate...

Good idea about mashing stuff into the spud! Will try hiding some mashed chickpeas under the butter and cheese! And spinach too!
He's slowly dropping milk feeds but when he was poorly stopped napping and then fed every 3 hours round the clock for 3 days. Which was toss.

Sorry long reply! Thanks again

Octaviapink Sun 25-Sep-11 17:53:20

Oh God yes it's murder when they're ill but they've been on solids for a while. Your supply's right down and all they want to do is bf. Headaches, dehydration and exhaustion beckon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now