Talk

Advanced search

Failing to cope with the juggling act, but a bit stuck

(6 Posts)
JumpingJellyfish Fri 23-Sep-11 12:04:14

Need some advice for the sage MNers. I have 3 DC- DS - 6 (yr 3 primary school, in NI- maybe equivalent of yr 2 in England?), DD1 - 4 (y1 primary school) and DD2 - 22 months. I work 20 hours a week (wednesday afternoon, all day Thurs and Fridays). DD1 has cystic fibrosis. DH work commute quite far so he's out of the house 7am to 6.45pm.
I know many cope with more, and I felt I was managing fairly well until the kids went back to school and homeworks etc. started up again. DS also does swimming lessons one afternoon, Beavers one evening and DS & DD1 do gymnastics one evening (important as part of DD1's physiotherapy for her CF). I am responsible like most mums for running the household, being the taxi, keeping on top of meds and physio for DD1. I am struggling. I have shouted more at the kids the past 48 hours than in the past 3 months! (should mention FIL also in hospital so DH been away each eve). We really need my income at the moment as DH's salary was cut 9 months ago, but struggling with doing homeworks in the evenings after I collect kids from after-school club (where they don't do homework) on the wednesdays and thursdays, cooking tea, doing baths (DS has dust allergy & eczema so daily baths), doing DD1's physio and getting them to bed at a reasonable hour. We are all tired and grumpy so nothing is as effective or pleasant as it usually is. Each week feels like a marathon. I hate rushing about constantly and nagging at the kids but feel like on the days I work there's no other option, even when I think I've been v organised with all the school uniforms, packed lunches etc etc.

Any tips? Is it a matter of just trying to relax and do everything in a fun sort of way without nagging/shouting?!
I feel I'm letting DS down by not having the time to do his homeworks in a relaxed way- it's a rush after tea before bath time. I end up harrassing him more than helping and getting stressed by him not getting on with his reading etc. He is a senstive wee mite and I know so well how much he needs his confidence constantly reinforced. I am not sure I'm helping him at all on our busy days sad
Bring back the summer holidays!

nickschick Fri 23-Sep-11 12:06:41

I think a lot of us have this in sept and october whilst we get back in the swing of things - over the weekend try and do things that might take the pressure off you during the week.

Its not an ordinary time your fil is in hospital your dh is having to be with him so when things go back to normal it should get easier.

Loopymumsy Fri 23-Sep-11 20:38:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

quiteknackered Sat 24-Sep-11 10:45:50

Jumping jellyfish _ you are doing loads! Be extremely proud of yourself and your family. Cut corners where you can. X

JumpingJellyfish Sun 25-Sep-11 20:53:16

Thank you ladies. As they say a problem shared is a problem halved. Feel I'm already cutting a few too many corners, but needs must and all that, and maybe I should sometimes just not try so hard!! Kids had fish fingers at least twice last week and beans on toast once- in fact haven't spent more than 20 mins cooking for a while blush except the odd roast which still isn't actually more than 20 mins actual stirring/chopping etc!

I think I'm still adjusting to not having DH about in the mornings before school, he used to help do DD1's physio (which takes 20 mins after a 15 min nebuliser) so I could get on with dressing/breakfasts etc. I am trying to do packed lunches etc. the night before but sometimes following the unavoidable clean up of the day's dishes/mess/laundry etc. can't muster any more energy so get up at 6am to do them. May be the odd school dinner on our busiest days is a good idea- thanks loopymumsy smile Can't afford many but the odd one would help. I may also try doing more of DS's reading at bedtime, he's sometimes very keen and sometimes it's like getting blood out of a stone, but at that stage the rush to get to bed so to speak is over and we're all a bit more chilled. I usually read to him and DD1 (who share a room) just after DD2 is asleep, so we get some peace, so maybe I could try the you read a bit then I read thing. Congrats by the way on DD4 smile

Right, ironing waiting, bags to pack etc! Think sometimes it's the thought of it all that overwhelmes, and the super hectic hours where things all seem to cluster together... Love the idea of a little dance smile

Thanks all xxx

Loopymumsy Mon 26-Sep-11 06:32:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now