Talk

Advanced search

Less than great parenting moments....

(14 Posts)
eggsareoffagain Fri 23-Sep-11 00:40:53

I have just shouted at DS that I'm going to push him into the fish pond. I didn't actually do it, but still, the neighbours could definitely hear me and might well be on the phone to SS by now.

He is supposed to feed the terrapins while DH is away this week. He forgot to do it last night so I told him to do it quickly before school. We have to put the food on the rocks in the middle so the fish don't eat it, and this involves him actually getting into the water. So the school bus is outside the door with all other kids on it, and DS is still prancing around in full UV swimwear, making excuses about why he can't go into the pond. I got a bit stressed, and the above came out of my mouth.

DD shouted from the bus "Mummy, if you push him in he will fall and bang his head on the rocks and die!!!" Long pause....and then I replied "Well, he'd better hurry up and do as he's told then."

Not one of our better mornings. They are at school now and I feel bad. I was just looking at photos on fb of my pregnant friend and thinking how excited they are for their baby and how you would never think you will get so annoyed with your dcs and have such awful parenting moments. I'm not the only one, am I?

mybrainsthinkingfuckyou Fri 23-Sep-11 01:08:31

No you're not bless you.

eggsareoffagain Fri 23-Sep-11 01:14:04

Thanks. Will be nice to them when they come home.

Unfortunately I'm certain I could find more examples like the above.

Thumbwitch Fri 23-Sep-11 01:28:47

Definitely not the only one. I have been known to tell DS I would feed him to the wolves. The only reason this is implausible is because there are no wolves where I live. It's still not a nice thing to say to him though. Thankfully he has not developed any fear of wolves.

blush

tabulahrasa Fri 23-Sep-11 01:30:50

Oh I don't even need to have list my temper to gave less than great parenting moments...

Apparently when your 11 yr old DD tells you that her 15 yr old brother says that daddy likes her the best and that you like him the best, the correct response is not to laugh and say that's silly because you don't like either of them... blush

I did tell her immediately afterwards that it was a joke, but nope she wasn't impressed at all.

<makes a mental note to treat all conversations with the seriousness they warrant and not to go fir the cheap laugh>

eggsareoffagain Fri 23-Sep-11 01:33:27

I think DS ignores me most of the time anyway. He definitely doesn't take me seriously when I tell him I think the school bus has already gone when he's faffing about in the mornings.

He did tell me once that "I don't deserve to have children" (because he couldn't have ice-cream unless he finished his dinner) - at least he can't have heard that from me.

eggsareoffagain Fri 23-Sep-11 01:35:55

tabulahrasa my way-too-serious dd doesn't like my jokes either. grin

jlh33 Fri 23-Sep-11 09:44:49

Bad parenting moment last night from my 12 yr old's dad !! she didnt want to go for tea as normal thurs thing as she felt unwell, rang him to say this, but he accused me of putting her up to this! Then he got police to our door assuming I was with holding her, not the case, police who confirmed this too, what an idiot. Now our daughter in fearful of going this weekend, where should be her wkend with her dad, what do we do? do I make her go, infear? Or do i keep her with me 'her request' ? please advise anyone, thanks jlh33

Thumbwitch Fri 23-Sep-11 15:18:53

If she's in fear of going to her Dad's, I'd say no, don't make her go! is she not of an age where her wishes get taken into account? Mind you, I'd want to know what she's scared of too.
Can you talk to your solicitor or is it too late in the day now?

Thumbwitch Fri 23-Sep-11 15:19:48

Actually, jih - I think you should start your own thread on this to get more responses - it's not going to get enough traffic here. sad

Svrider Sat 24-Sep-11 17:05:10

I told dd1 at 3 years old to "shut the closet door so the draft doesn't get you".
She is still convinced that there is a giraffe in the closet. She also refuses to look at any giraffes at the zoo. She has helpfully passed on her giraffe fear to dd2 and ds!

stabbystabbykillkill Sat 24-Sep-11 17:10:00

Go away and play on the motorway in the fast lane with the cars and lorries and give my head peace.

blush

Or

If you don't behave the cross mummy you don't like is coming to live in this house

blush (again)

You would try the patience of a bloody saint DD1 and I am not a saint

I am sure there are more

Svrider Sat 24-Sep-11 17:11:08

Btw jlh I wouldn't make your daughter go if she's scared. I'm fairly sure that at 13 it's her choice, legally speaking

scrappydappydoo Sat 24-Sep-11 17:16:38

Oh waay too many to mention...
My speciality is the 'hiss n drag' where I remove my child from a situation by dragging them by the arm whilst hissing in their ear threats that I couldn't possibly follow through on... blush
[please note that this sounds a lot worse than it actually is]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now