Talk

Advanced search

1 year old bits people's toes...

(9 Posts)
threeinmybed Thu 22-Sep-11 13:40:05

The title says it all really, DH and I are fairly speechless tbh. I'll just be sat there, and he'll crawl up sneakily, smile an angelic smile and sink his teeth into my big toe. He's not fussy either. He's done it to family, friends, his key worker at nursery, even a lady who came to visit the nursery with crocs on.

I do usually give him a firm 'no, that's naughty to bite you'll hurt mummy' or similar, but he just gives me a withering look and crawls off.

What am I meant to do?

threeinmybed Thu 22-Sep-11 13:40:46

Should be bites people's toes obviously. Bloody iPad...

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 22-Sep-11 13:44:57

Keep saying 'no' firmly (match words with expression and tone), pick him off the floor when he's heading for someone's feet and put him somewhere else.

pinkthechaffinch Thu 22-Sep-11 17:56:53

Oh dd used to do this-so cute. We used to encourage her!

What you are supposed to do is laugh!

She's 2.7 now and hasn't done it for at least 18 months. I think it's something they naturally grow out of. he's one, he wants to explore everything with his mouth, it's a battle that's not worth fighting.

If he's still doing it age 20 months or so, then I'd up the firmness.

goldmum Thu 22-Sep-11 18:15:59

DS2 does this too at 18 months. We can spot him coming so we just say 'oh, kisses for (insert name)'s feet. Has worked every time so far!

StrandedBear Thu 22-Sep-11 18:26:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

plumtart Thu 22-Sep-11 21:06:46

very cute but scary phase!!!!! you'll miss it when she stops gringrin

AKMD Fri 23-Sep-11 10:39:57

DS did this. He only did it to me, DH, my parents and my BiL, who all thought it was really funny, even though it hurt. He's pretty much stopped doing it now (he's 18mo) though. We couldn't help laughing so discipline wouldn't have been any good, but when we undressed him we would always make a game of sniffing his feet and saying 'pooh! Smelly feet!' which he found hilarious and seemed to teach him that feet weren't very nice to put in his mouth.

threeinmybed Fri 23-Sep-11 19:38:35

Thanks for the replies! He also pulls at my socks, and if I take them off he puts them to his face, inhales deeply and carts them round with him everywhere. I'm beginning to worry for the good of his soul grin

It is odd though, he's got all manner of things to chew and bite (toys, icey things etc) but he makes a beeline for feet...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now