Talk

Advanced search

chicken pox help

(9 Posts)
poppyboo Thu 22-Sep-11 13:24:12

My 3 year old woke up with chicken -pox spots this morning. I bought her calamine cream for the spots, should I have bought one of the cooling gels i saw in boots especially for it (approx £11?!) Does it really help, b/c it is worth it I will go back to Boots to buy some! I don't want my LO to be scarred from scratching, although they don't seem to be particularly bothering her right now.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 22-Sep-11 13:30:36

If they're not bothering her, leave the creams etc. off, cover with light clothing (natural fibres) and put some a drop of oilatum moisturiser in her bath at night. If they get dry and itchy, a regular mild antiseptic cream like Savlon or an aqueous cream like E45 is excellent.

feedthegoat Thu 22-Sep-11 13:30:58

My ds had them quite badly the 1st week of school. He was literally covered from head to foot.

I used calamine and he had the odd dose of piriton on a night time but on the whole they really didn't bother him. He said they weren't that itchy unless he got too hot.

He still has the odd scab but they are fading nicely. I can only see one next to his eye that looks like it might scar but it is tiny and I am sure it won't be very noticable in a few years.

Hope your DD recovers soon.

feedthegoat Thu 22-Sep-11 13:34:47

I just noticed you said calamine cream too. I asked in our local independent herbalists where the man is really helpful. He said that the calamine lotion is better than cream as it is astringent rather than the cream which is moisturising as you are looking for the spots to dry out. Baths definitely made ds more comfortable too.

miamama09 Thu 22-Sep-11 15:42:00

Eurax cream was the only thing that helped DD when she had it. It was amazing, she barely even noticed they were there.

mummymellymoo Thu 22-Sep-11 19:16:14

If she gets really itchy, try Piriton - it's an antihistamine medicine so stops the itching really well. Also, a nice cool flannel always works wonders, especially if she's got a bit of a temperature too.

SoylentClean Thu 22-Sep-11 21:50:09

I used the expensive cooling gels when DD1 had c.pox and they did help with the itching. For DD2 I didn't have any in so I used my Aloe Vera gel (like this) and it had the same cooling effect and only cost about £2.50.

The areas where they got warmest got the worst spots so I kept them stripped off so they'd be cooler, smothered in aloe vera and a dose of piriton and that seemed to do the trick.

MockingbirdsNotForSale Thu 22-Sep-11 21:52:26

DD's just had it and calamine just made the spots itchier. We used Virasoothe getting it from amazon cheaper than Boots. Fast delivery and very soothing. Calamine isn't recommended any more as the dryign out thing isn't good as it makes the scabs itchier which can lead to scrring if scratched. Aqueous Calamine is meant to be good also as its soothing but not drying.

Instinctivemum Fri 23-Sep-11 16:57:21

Hello! I had a LO with chicken pox at 8 mnths.
Poxclim (?) from boots is great. It's a foam rather than a cream, she didn't itch & has no scars

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now