Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! - Stroppy 3 year old, school run + new baby

(4 Posts)
hollyw Thu 22-Sep-11 09:20:08

I need some tips on how to handle a stroppy 3 year old in the mornings.

She has had an awful cough (possibly asthma related) for over 8 weeks and is suffering sleepwise which is making her more stroppy than usual (She is quite feisty at times normally but lack of sleep has added to it)

I also have a 6 week old and two older children that are school age.

My 3 year old has become a bit of a challenge in the mornings - shouting, lashing out at the boys, demanding they do things for her, calling them idiots.

I tried doing time out this morning but she kept coming out of her room and slamming the door really hard. I ended up with no breakfast, baby didn't get a full feed, managed to get the boys to school on time but only because we were coming straight home again afterwards so I didn't need to get makeup on/get properly dressed.

How do I handle this?

Oh I'm aware that there could be new baby reaction stuff going on too. She absolutely adores her new sister and is very helpful with her and gets lots of praise for it ans I've been spending extra time playing with her in the past few weeks too

x

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Thu 22-Sep-11 11:50:31

Hi smile

My dd had odd spates of very bad behaviour about 8wks after I had ds. It never lasted very long but was such hard work! We found having a sticker chart with 4 things (go to bed well, help tidy up toys, get dressed and have hair brushed without messing etc) and a sticker each day for each of those things really helped to focus her.

We have had sticker charts before, but not with specific 'tasks' iyswim?

Sorry I am not more help, this is just our experience.

Loopymumsy Thu 22-Sep-11 14:09:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whatsleep Thu 22-Sep-11 21:13:48

I will probably be shot down for being irresponsible in my suggestion but could you turn it round for a few weeks until she gets into the swing of the routine with new baby too.... Give her a treat to keep her happy, a bag of choccy buttons for the journey to school tell he they are for being so helpful with her new sister......?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now