Talk

Advanced search

13 month old not eating

(6 Posts)
cupcakelover1983 Wed 21-Sep-11 23:57:09

my DS has always been a really good eater but recently has not been eating very much at all. he refuses to be spoon fed and now won't eat finger foods either - he's losing weight and I am worried he isn't getting enough nutrients from the food he is snacking on. he is drinking whole cows milk 3 times a day and he always finishes his milk.

I was just wondering if this is a phase or if it is something I should be more worried about!
Tia

MagnumIcecreamAddict Thu 22-Sep-11 13:05:26

Hi

Didn't want to leave you unanswered as I know how scary it is when they don't eat.

If he wasn't losing weight I'd say don't worry about it, but if things don't improve it may be worth getting him checked over to make sure it's not anything else going on. If he wasn't losing wieght I'd suggest cutting the milk back a bit, but that's not helpful for your situation.

My DS (15m) started being fussy about food at this stage too, but didn't lose weight. Things we had some success with:
Introduce stronger tasting and bright foods - our current favourites are - blueberries, peas, sweetcorn, sausages, fish fingers, innocent smoothies (yep, through the straw), raisins, anything in a sandwich, risotto, big pasta chunks with a cheesy sauce.
Eat with them, or better still invite other, slightly older, children around and have lunch as a group - amazing how they'll eat when other kids do.
My DS would only be spoon fed if he got to hold another spoon and have a go too - actually doing pretty well himself now, but took time. Also loves playing with a fork, learning to stab his dinner.
Try really hard (v difficult) to not get stressed or bothered if it all goes on the floor/totally refused. It's the only power babies have at this stage and they know it.
Make sure it's not his teeth bothering him - maybe try bonjela/teething powders/calpol before a meal to see what happens.

It probably is just a phase.

Best of luck

Tigresswoods Thu 22-Sep-11 13:20:42

They do go through little phases at this sort of age where they do eat, then they don't eat. It's weird but you have to sort of go with it.

If he's loosing weight do speak to your HV but we had this a lot between 12 & 16 months.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 22-Sep-11 13:33:13

If he's losing weight and if it's unusual for him to be off his food, see your GP rather than worrying. There could be something that's making it painful for him to swallow solid food, for example.

SootySweepandSue Thu 22-Sep-11 13:36:05

Could it be a throat issue ? Tonsillitis or similar?

cupcakelover1983 Fri 23-Sep-11 22:26:16

thanks for all your replies! I think I'll make a doctors appointment next week to rule out sore throat etc if he doesn't get any better. I think I'll just have to tough it out! he's lively and his usual self so I guess there is nothing to worry about yet!

thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now