Talk

Advanced search

Watching violent films with a baby

(6 Posts)
scubamummy Tue 20-Sep-11 14:38:58

DH and I sat down to watch the Die Hard boxset on sun grin and our 8 month old was in the room with us - she seemed unfazed by the violent action scenes but at some point it will probably distress her?? When should we stop watching films like this with her around?

AKMD Tue 20-Sep-11 20:28:28

Now. Sorry to be a die-hard but you really don't want the f-word to be her first word grin

bejeezus Tue 20-Sep-11 20:30:11

ive often thought about this.
STBXH likes action/violent films, I dont. He thinks its ok. I dont think your LO will get distressed because it will be normal if shes always had it in the background IMO. Thats what I didnt/dont like though - the normalisation of it

Daisy1986 Tue 20-Sep-11 20:52:19

In my exp my DD now gets distress at certain parts of childrens films /programmes. This started happening about 15 months old...when the Pinky Ponk got stuck in a tree to be exact. I think once they have an understanding of what is going on and possibly the affects of scary music etc.

Other examples are when the combine harvester chases ligtening mcqueen in Cars 1. Piglet having to go through the dark forest in the new winnie the pooh film.

Tewkespeggy Tue 20-Sep-11 21:40:12

we never used to watch the news with dd in the room, but i didnt want the big bad world to be a shock to herr. so when she turned 7 we changed things a bit we now watch the 7.30 am news headlines in bed together (5 min cuddle in morning is a must in our house!) . then if she has any questions about the news i can answer in a way that is suitable for her understanding. she seems to understand the concepts really well.

but we dont watch the soaps because real people ie people in our life, dont shout at each other or speak to each other like that.

She has always been more sensitve to the music than the dialog and often asks why is the music like that.

all in all it depends on the child but at 18 months they arent able to tell you.
hope you get the answers you need.

DownyEmerald Tue 20-Sep-11 21:57:02

When I was on maternity leave I used to watch ER during the day time - I stopped when I noticed dd was "watching" it - prob about 9/10 months? Before then she hadn't seemed to really notice the TV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now