Talk

Advanced search

Really need help with DS - 5 years old, acting v out of character

(5 Posts)
mumofsaffronjasper Mon 19-Sep-11 11:28:42

My ds turned 5 in august, he has just gone into yr 1 (second year) of school. He has always been a calm child, quite laid back and sometimes sensitive. The past 3 weeks (it started a week before school started again) he started acting v out of character, angry all the time, aggressive towards his sister (2), v rude towards me and his dad. It has got to a point were at the weekend i didnt know what to do anymore, he completely lost it, i ended up putting him in his bedroom and holding the handle so he couldnt get out. He totally lost it before that, it was all i could do to try and calm him, he was hitting screaming, so angry. It was so upsetting. It was 5 in afternoon, he fell asleep at 6 and slept through. But he hasnt had late nights etc...

Anyway my point to all this is since he was 2 everytime ha had a growth spurt he has had 3/4 days of being a bit like this (not nearly as bad) and then it goes, this has been going on for 3 weeks now though. Someone mentioned to me at 5 boys often have a testosterone surge? I cant find anything on this but it would make sense. Does anyone know? Any advise? I feel like i have done something wrong and I just dont know what to do

Oblomov Mon 19-Sep-11 12:11:55

Steve Biddulph writes about raising boys, and the testosterone surges. Steve B does write some things that are very questionable, but some of his stuff on boys is fab.
I think lots of Year 1 mums will tell you they have had similar. I know lots of the mums in our playground said so (ds has just started Yr 3).
Try not to worry. Many said they wondered where their son had gone , and who had replaced him with this rude, bolshy, answering back boy, who wasn't theirs !!
For most it went on for a few weeeks. For some it was a few months, but got less and less.
HTH

mumofsaffronjasper Mon 19-Sep-11 12:48:18

Thank you! That has made me feel better and I am going to research steve b bumpf!

girliefriend Mon 19-Sep-11 20:49:27

Not sure it is just a boy thing my dd is 5yo and over the hols had a few tantrums, it felt like she really needed me to set the boundaries!

She had one ridiculous tantrum when I asked her to tidy up some toys so the toys were conviscated! She was very shocked when she realised I meant it and on the whole has been much better since!!

Selks Mon 19-Sep-11 21:14:12

Could he have been / is anxious about going back to school for any reason? In young children, out of character 'acting out' is often a sign that they're distressed or worried about something. Some gentle exploration and reassurance might help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now