Talk

Advanced search

OMG - totally mad DS aged nearly 3 - its driving me nuts - HELP!!!

(11 Posts)
bellamom Sun 18-Sep-11 18:38:12

My totally delicious DS is nearly 3 and totally out of control - he can be wonderful adorable and even listen sometimes, but 90% of the time he is totally nuts and even the simplest request can spin him out. Bedtime is a complete nightmare, with endless distractions, toilet visits, drink requests, noise, pajamas thrown off etc, while doing school run for siblilings is utter chaos and nearly always means we are late. Trying to get clothes on the wee poppet is, well, i shan't even go there. Then there is spitting, biting, throwing food, jumping on dining table, pouring bath water everywhere EXCEPT the bath and that is just for starters.

I am going slightly insane, Trying to stay calm and not shout but it is getting harder and harder.

Is this normal? Help me out here........................

groak Sun 18-Sep-11 18:41:40

Normal. Same as my ds, however a sharp '1,2
.. if I get to 3 and you've not stopped that, I will be cross..' usually cuts the pantomine short. Giddy kipper-itis, i think grin

groak Sun 18-Sep-11 18:42:44

and if you are losing your rag, the best advice was someone posted on here that you imagine there isa camera crew and you are being filmed, and you do find you start being a painfully annoying superm um. Or try, anyway!

cheesesarnie Sun 18-Sep-11 18:44:31

threenager.worse than terrible twos imo.

Chandon Sun 18-Sep-11 18:48:57

don't stay calm!

If you are not.

rewards and punishments and clear and loud "NO's!" help a bit.

And taking LOADS of time for everything.

But patiently smiling and saying "oh, mummy doesn't like it when you do that" has no impact.

he needs to know you mean business. And that does not require physical punishment by the way, just an attitude.

belgo Sun 18-Sep-11 18:53:48

My ds is the same age and I very rarely request him to do anything.

My three children are going totally hyper this evening, so I have told them all to lie down in a row and do sit ups. It is quiet, for now...

So yes, totally normalsmile

Pancakeflipper Sun 18-Sep-11 18:56:16

I have that child.... He is currently sat naked on the bathroom opposite his father with his arms firmly folded and his bottom lip stuck out ( my son not his father)... I wish them both well with hair wash night.

I have tried stern, firm and I have found consistent has knocked 45 mins off the tantrum time so we are down from 1hr 45 mins per tantrum to 45 mins. Major break through.

I admire his determination.

Ahhhh just heard DP say "NO! Don't trump in my face.." Things are progressing...

Teaandcakeplease Sun 18-Sep-11 18:56:52

Ahhh I feel your pain my son is 3 in January and is a complete pita right now. I'm upping my game on time outs and consistency right now. He is slowly improving a little as time goes on. I keep him on a [[http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Adjustable-Wrist-Link-Check/dp/B000MPQTKI?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_1&nodeId=42764041&sr=1-1&qid=1316368520&pf_rd_r=1DPRZ8323WWGC4EXDBPR&pf_rd_m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=231490887&pf_rd_s=center-7 tight leash] when out and about as he is a bolter <sigh> and always keep the buggy with me for time outs if he won't behave on the school run when waiting for DD to come out/ go in.

Teaandcakeplease Sun 18-Sep-11 18:57:43

tight leash

Teaandcakeplease Sun 18-Sep-11 19:02:53

Oh yes my DS bit someone at pre school on Thursday very hard as he didn't want to share hmm sad

bellamom Sun 18-Sep-11 19:27:12

thankyou all for sharing so i don't feel totally alone/madwoman here!!!

it is so humbling being a parent - i don't want to lose it but i do shout and get mad at him sometimes and that breaks my heart. he is lovely but totally out of control. time out means nothing, sticker mean nothing, mummy shouting/crying/speaking calmly mean nothing to him, if he don't wanna do it he simply ain't gonna do it. sometimes the only way is to lean against door (on the other side) and wait for him to say ok. that may be ten minutes or 30, if its school run time, that's not good news! or at the end of the day when i am (literally) ready to cry...

yes it is a phase, yes this will change, but please god, let it change soon!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now