Talk

Advanced search

ds has day surgery tomorrow...

(12 Posts)
griffalo2 Sun 18-Sep-11 09:58:25

What do you advise to take with us?
Planning on taking some toys and books to keep him occupied ,do I need to take dressing gown and slippers,pjs?

FootballFriendSays Sun 18-Sep-11 10:08:02

Probably not for just day surgery. Get lots of cash as well for vending machines, cafeteria, car park. Good luck.

roisin Sun 18-Sep-11 10:14:25

What is he having done? How old is he?

When ds2 had day surgery (several lots aged 8-10) he had to take Pjs, slippers and dressing gown.

QuincyMincemeat Sun 18-Sep-11 10:15:50

kids can usually keep their own clothes on during surgery. maybe take a book and a few toys but hospital will have some to play with. hope it goes ok smile

bagelmonkey Sun 18-Sep-11 10:22:47

I'd take PJs, slippers & dressing gown. They may make him wear hospital gown, but depends what he's having done. Nice to have the option.
Don't take any visible drinks or snacks. It will taunt him if he's fasting. You should fast with him.

griffalo2 Sun 18-Sep-11 10:23:33

He has hydrocele and hernia.hes 5 yrs.
I had to take dressing gown and slippers for day surgery a few years ago but they havent told me with ds.
Hes not keen on wearing hospital gown,will he have to? If so I will probably take his dressing gown to wear over top?

griffalo2 Sun 18-Sep-11 10:34:45

Thank you for replies,
I just dont know what ti expect.what about a few snacks for when he wakes up?
Im in a secret state of panic

roisin Sun 18-Sep-11 12:46:12

When he wakes up he'll be a bit groggy at first. Also the anaesthetic can make people feel nauseous, so I wouldn't worry about snacks at all - certainly not for a good while afterwards.

How far do you have to travel home afterwards?

I was in panic when ds2 had his first op and he was 8 or 9! It goes with the territory of being a mum. But he will be fine. Do ask hospital staff if you have any questions.

bagelmonkey Sun 18-Sep-11 13:44:25

Take some snacks by all means, but don't let him see them. It's really hard to fast when you know there's food and drinks around.
He won't be allowed to leave until he's kept down a drink of water afterwards.
Take something in case he gets sick in the car on the way home.
You will often be allowed to stay with him until he's asleep, but not always, so don't promise him you will, just in case.
At least one person will ask him what treat he's getting for being brave. You cannot esccape this.
Most kids will be scared and will cry or act up. The staff are aware of this and will not be judging you or him, so don't worry about that, just be there to reassure him.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Sun 18-Sep-11 14:44:33

Five is a baby, can you get him a small treat? DD had grommets done aged eight. The hospital gave her a teddy, she was dead chuffed.

Bunbaker Sun 18-Sep-11 14:55:39

DD had a hernia operation when she was 6. We took pyjamas, dressing gown and slippers. With hindsight the pyjamas weren't a good idea because the waistband was too close to the operation cuts. when she got home she went straight into a nightie.

The hospital won't let you go home until your son has had something to eat and something to drink and kept it down.

For yourselves, take change for parking and the hospital cafe/vending machine or something to eat and drink. Take something to keep you occupied while you are waiting - a book or crossword/sudoku puzzles.

I agree that a sick bucket for the car is a good idea.

DD didn't feel great when she first came round after the anaesthetic , but recovered really quickly and was running around three days later.

Good luck for tomorrow

NickNacks Sun 18-Sep-11 15:00:50

We took a portable DVD player and a new DVD for DS when he went in at 5yrs old for day surgery.

He wasn't really up for sitting up and reading or playing and the new film Madagascar 2 (IIRC) was his treat to look forward to.

We also did take in PJ's, slippers and dressing gown as he wasn't up to wearing day clothes and wanted something more comfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now