Talk

Advanced search

What activities do your children do, and how old are they?

(13 Posts)
Sleepglorioussleep Sat 17-Sep-11 09:14:01

Sorry to be nosey, just trying to work out if dd does too much. She's nearly 6 and does gym for an hour, rainbows for an hour and family swimming.

fivegomadindorset Sat 17-Sep-11 09:16:58

DD is 5 (6 in January) at the moment she does tennis, swimming, diving and rugby.

DS 3 swimming and tennis.

All are 30 minute sessions. Tennis and swimming during the week, divingg and rugby at weekends.

ragged Sat 17-Sep-11 09:18:50

Recent huge thread about this... Here it is in Chat.

Sleepglorioussleep Sat 17-Sep-11 09:19:44

Thanks ragged! Funny isn't it that huge sections of mumsnet are like unexplored territory to me!

MirandaWest Sat 17-Sep-11 09:20:08

DD is very nearly 6 and does tennis (45 min after school on Tuesday), Rainbows (1 hour after tennis on Tuesday) and dancing (1 hour after school on Thursday). Tennis is only until mid October so not for much longer. Think possibly Tennis and Rainbows is a bit wearing but overall it is fine

Avinalarf Sat 17-Sep-11 09:23:41

DS (6) has a music class and computer club during the week, and another music class + football; at the weekend.

DD (2) just has monkey music, but starts swimming soon, too.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 17-Sep-11 09:32:12

DS is 5 (6 in Jan) and has a 1/2 hour swimming lesson one day after school and will be doing one after-school club (1 hour - run by teachers at school) when they start the week after next.

An0therName Sat 17-Sep-11 10:58:23

DS 5.9 - football, swimming - both at weekend and going to go to after school music club - are your DDs all after school - but three sounds about right

ZZZenAgain Sat 17-Sep-11 11:10:52

that doesn't sound too much to me unless you are noticing any signs of her being overtired or anything like that.

My dd is older - 10 and a lot of time goes on music and music related activities. The more she progresses with it, the more time it eats up so that other things have fallen by the wayside. When she was 6, I think she did music once a week (1 hour) and sport (1 hour) and that was it but I am not entirely sure, might have been some other regular thing I have forgotten. She could have done more but it didn't occur to me to look into anything more than that at the time.

Sleepglorioussleep Sat 17-Sep-11 18:04:27

Thanks all! Think about right too, but keen to get music in there too. More questions-what music do your about six year olds do? Considering piano lessons but tempted to wait til next sept. But are there less specific music things they can do? Got to remember to multiply all by three when we're thinking about drop offs and cost-two more to go through after dd1!

cat64 Sat 17-Sep-11 18:10:19

Message withdrawn

donteatyourteawithnoknickerson Sat 17-Sep-11 18:41:18

DD1 (7) does violin, brownies and swimming

DD2 (6) does rainbows and swimming

I think that's about right - as well as fitting in homework, reading etc and playing time smile

Sleepglorioussleep Sat 17-Sep-11 19:21:11

I saw my two older children doing drawing, making dens, doing puzzles, rolling around being tickled by their grandad and making muffins today. That was a good day admittedly, but I mused on how we'd fit all that important stuff in if dd did any more! Add parties, reading and the new, much enjoyed (not!) spellings and there's hardly time for a trip to the park! Glad our level of stuff seems in line with the norm, although of course there are children who thrive on lots of activities too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now