Talk

Advanced search

Is 15 old enough for a one off night alone?

(14 Posts)
lubeybooby Wed 14-Sep-11 10:54:43

My DD is 15 tomorrow, very sensible girl, more into books than boys etc.

Now the thing is, I've been invited to a birthday do I definitely can't take her to as it's in a nightclub. Going would involve me being out overnight as it's too far for a taxi back so would have to get a hotel. Said friend who has organised it is very lonely and down and not many people can make it so I would feel terrible if I couldn't go.

Should I try to organise some kind of babysitter? It's possible my mum could stay here with enough notice. Or is 15 old enough for a one off? Really can't seem to think clearly here at all.

cjbartlett Wed 14-Sep-11 10:57:27

I'd ask your mum tbh
Being on your own all night is quite scary at that age
Or she could have a trusted friend to sleepover as long as you trust her not to have a party

mumblechum1 Wed 14-Sep-11 10:58:56

A babysitter at 15?? shock, my ds was babysitting children when he was 15, and spent a week wild camping in the Rockies with his friend at that age, 50 miles from civilisation.

Riveninabingle Wed 14-Sep-11 10:59:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ooopsadaisy Wed 14-Sep-11 11:02:09

I always ask myself: "If XXXX happened, what would be different if I was there?" ie: If the smoke alarm went off at 2am - If I was there I would get us out and ring 999. If DS (also 15) was there he would get out and ring 999.

You just have to go through the realities - does she know how to turn off the stop-cock? The gas?

I think I would be inclined to leave her for one night but make sure your neighbour knows she is alone and make sure they have DD's mobile number and she has theirs. (If not your neighbour then a very close-by friend).

lubeybooby Wed 14-Sep-11 11:06:13

She definitely wouldn't have a party, absolutely trust her on that but yes you are right about the scary aspect.

I might see if she can have a sleepover elsewhere that night, she has about three friends that regularly sleep over here so should be possible.... if not then my mum.

snailoon Wed 14-Sep-11 11:06:32

Of course she's old enough.

lubeybooby Wed 14-Sep-11 13:14:23

Hmmm. Cross posted earlier as I'd taken ages to reply without refreshing the page <slaps forehead>

She does have three cats to keep her company and could maybe have my mum as emergency contact (she lives in the same town)

I had her when I was 16 and I had my own place, lived on my own with a baby to take care of.

I was very capable at her age and used to babysit my brother til around 2am from 15 and the odd overnight from 15.

Going by what I was capable of at her age theres no doubt she would be ok....it just seems so different looking at it as a mum though. I've always tried to give her space and freedom, not wrap her up in cotton wool etc.

I think I will try other avenues first, see if she can have a sleepover at a friends or if (her most sensible) friend can join her here and parents ok with it etc, or if my mum can stay - and if not then will possibly try it on her own for the night with my mum as emergency contact if she needs anything.

MrsHuxtable Wed 14-Sep-11 13:19:01

Yes, sleepover with her best friend.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 14-Sep-11 13:22:32

Does your DD feel okay about being on her own?

OriginalPoster Wed 14-Sep-11 13:24:25

My mum let me go on a cycling holiday in the Western Isles with my boyfriend age 15, and same with my friends age 14. I was dc number 5, though. No mobiles then, either....

Just make sure she knows how to contact you.

lubeybooby Wed 14-Sep-11 13:44:19

Fab she does feel ok about it yes, I've been out before for nights out and left her a good five hours or so but been back midnight ish and she was fine with that and asleep when I got back.

She will always grab any opportunity to have a friend over so she wants her friend to sleep over that night. I'm ok with that if the friends parents are ok with it so will give them a ring.

sunndydays Wed 14-Sep-11 15:29:07

My parents went to Australia for a couple of weeks when my sister and I were a similar age, some nights my sister wasn't there so I was alone and vice versa. I definitely think she is old enough, but only if she is happy to do so

mumeeee Wed 14-Sep-11 18:58:47

Depends on the child, DD1 would have been fine at 15 but DD2 would have been worrying all night. When she was 17 if we were back late she would stay up until we for back .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now