Talk

Advanced search

Dinnertimes are such a nightmare. I am coming to the end of my tether with DS.

(10 Posts)
Voidka Tue 13-Sep-11 18:12:00

DS has always been a slow eater. Every day is such a battle to get him to eat. We have been sat since 5pm with his small plate of dinner and he is still not finished.

I have tried everything. Making his favourite dinners, making him a separate dinner to everyone else, giving him encouragement and reward for eating quickly, taking away treats if he doesnt finish. I even started taking the plate away after a set period of time (but DH and MIL said that was mean) but none of these have worked. Now is behaviour has rubbed off on DD and she has started the same thing.

Has anyone got any advice? I know that there is a general MN feeling not to make DC's finish everything on their plates, but if we did this he would eat nothing at all, therefore I give him really small portions (1 sausage, serving spoon of mash and half serving spoon of peas)

dikkertjedap Tue 13-Sep-11 18:33:09

How old is he?

Voidka Tue 13-Sep-11 18:40:47

pointydog Tue 13-Sep-11 18:42:55

I'd ignore it. Put the plates on the table, everyone eats their meal, then they go off and do something else. Leave him for as long as he wants. Wash up around him.

What does he do at school?

Voidka Tue 13-Sep-11 18:59:07

Trouble is he whines - if he is in a really bad mood he starts picking on DD or trying to push the table away/over.

At school he picks, but I think being with his friends means he doesnt want to be embarrased by his behaviour. He has a very small pack up too.

ilove Tue 13-Sep-11 19:02:59

What does he drink?

pointydog Tue 13-Sep-11 19:03:00

He whines and pushes the table over?!

He's looking for attention by being a pain in the arse by the sound of it. So I'd give him no attention at all. I'd ig nore all whines and send him away from the table if he nasty to anyone.

I certainly wouldn;t do any of the things you mentioned in your op.

Francagoestohollywood Tue 13-Sep-11 19:16:09

What pointy suggested. I'd actually take his plate away a reasonable amount of time.
Or perhaps leave him to finish at his won pace, and then he tidies up, given that you'll have already cleared the table etc for everyone else in the family.

leapyleo Tue 13-Sep-11 19:19:11

I agree with pointy - he shouldn't be whining or pushing the table over at 10 years old. Ignore it - even if he eats nothing at all - he will eventually become hungry and at that point he'll eat!

BertieBotts Tue 13-Sep-11 19:29:50

Well hang on, I'm a slow eater and can easily take 30-40 minutes to eat a meal, but such tiny portions and he's taking over an hour? That sounds pretty unusual to me. Possibly worth a trip to the GP? Have you asked him why he eats so slowly and/or why he gets so upset over it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now