Talk

Advanced search

20 month old DD waking at 5.00am

(13 Posts)
Justonecheese Mon 12-Sep-11 20:49:23

Our DD has always been an early riser and months and months of it are now really taking it's toll so I am considering some sleep training-can anyone recommend anything that worked for them?

The room is really dark, she is the right temperature, and she is usually asleep by 7pm and has a 2 hour nap in the day. I have tried putting her to bed both later and earlier and neither make a difference. Do I just have to resign myself to the fact she is ready to start the day and keep going to bed really early myself so that I can cope??

AnyFucker Mon 12-Sep-11 20:50:04

erm

yes

sorry smile

iskra Mon 12-Sep-11 20:53:08

Resignation is the way forward IMO.

Justonecheese Mon 12-Sep-11 21:26:45

Errrr.....thanks for the reality check! smile Off to bed for me then.....!

AnyFucker Mon 12-Sep-11 21:30:33

You should have been in bed an hour ago wink

Iggly Mon 12-Sep-11 21:34:57

DS sort of grew out of the early wake ups (he's nearly 2) but wakes at 6 instead, hardly a lie in! However you have to do early/later bedtimes for a week to see any different. If she's happy and not struggling mid morning then I'm afraid 5am is her time!

wearymum200 Mon 12-Sep-11 21:39:49

Sorry, I'm with all the above posters, some children are early risers with a body clock that just switches on then. DS1, now 5.5, has been waking at 5am since he was about 4m old. When he was about 2.5 we introduced a night-light on timer system, set to about 530 which told him it was "morning" and he was allowed to get up and play, which he often did without intentionally waking us. Once he could tell the time it was made overt that he didn't disturb us till after 6 (although his chuntering to himself as he played usually meant that i heard him as soon as he was up, but at least I didn't have to get up). For the last 3 months, we have had the rule that any time after 5am means he may switch his light on and read and hurrah, at last, i don't hear him till after 6 (which is normal getting up time for us anyway as DH goes out to work early)
Resignation's all you need

ohmygoshandgolly Mon 12-Sep-11 21:46:29

Have you thought about cutting down her daytime nap - possibly to 1 1/2 hours rather than 2 hours, to see if that makes a difference? It did work with my DS and may be worth a try?

Justonecheese Mon 12-Sep-11 23:35:26

Thanks all for your advice

ChristinedePizan Mon 12-Sep-11 23:40:14

Mine was like that at that age but grew out of it. Now he's 4 he usually sleeps until 7-7.30, sometimes until gone 8. He hasn't woken before 6am for over a year. Hang on in there!

Blu Mon 12-Sep-11 23:40:29

We used to take it in turns to get up and take him downstairs and doze on the sofa with him while he watched TV. In those days The Hoobs was on from 5a.m. All my 'my child won't watch TV' ideas went straight out the window.

It wears off.

ChristinedePizan Tue 13-Sep-11 00:01:05

I put a small tv on the floor in my bedroom blush

avoider Tue 13-Sep-11 22:17:54

Some seem to do this from about this age until about age 3.5/4. I like the idea of the telly on the bedroom floor. We used to take turns to go downstairs and put the Hoobs on too (and then try and doze on the sofa).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now