Talk

Advanced search

severe nappy rash or thrush

(11 Posts)
MangoMonster Sun 11-Sep-11 08:07:58

My ds is 2 and has developed a severe nappy rash in the past 2 days. He's never suffered that badly from nappy rash in the past, it's so sore to touch he is screamed when I changed him this morning. He does have a cold and I've heard that can do it. How can I tell if it's thrush?

AlmaMartyr Sun 11-Sep-11 09:14:22

Not sure how you tell which is which, hopefully someone will know.

When my DCs are rundown they occasionally get very nasty nappy rash (often if they're teething tbh). I generally find it passes quite quickly. Can you give him some nappy free time?

happygilmore Sun 11-Sep-11 09:53:38

No idea how you tell, I'd go to the GP though if you're worried, they will prescribe an anti-fungal cream if required

LunaticIsOnTheGrass Sun 11-Sep-11 10:00:31

Ds2 had thrush on his bum & from what I remember it looked patchy & inflamed (Ds2 is 11 now)

The GP prescribed ordinary canesten by the way, & it worked like magic.

Lovefruitsandvegs Sun 11-Sep-11 10:33:14

If you can afford go and buy Baby Nature nappies (Waitrose, Ocado, Mothercare). They are natural and the rash goes away very quickly. Do not use wipes from the pack. Use cotton wool or rinse the wipes before using them. Wash baby's bottom with camomile tea to sooth the skin rash. Good nappy change cream will also help. Some mothers use goose fat and say it is excellent.

MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 10:24:47

Thanks everyone, it seems a bit better today.

TheSugarPlumFairy Mon 12-Sep-11 12:52:38

you can tell it is thrush if the patches of soreness develop in sattelite locations. The main rash will be over the bum area but thrush will colonise unaffected skin. Also, if you see irritation in the fold of the skin is is most likley thrush. Nappy rash will usually only appear in topical areas. If the irritation is present in the folds of skin that would not normally be exposed to the contents of the nappy then it is likley thrush.

It can be treated quite effectively by applying some anti fungal cream (the same stuff you use on your feet - cloromitrizole 1%). It should improve rapidly. If it doesnt, see your GP who will prescribe a different cream (Called Timodine i think) which should hopefully clear it up. If your boys bum is so sore he fights you on nappy change you can use a combination of hydrocortozine cream and cloromitrizole cream (canasten combined) that will fight the fungal infection and soothe the pain.

HTH.

MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 13:14:05

Thank you sugarplum

PurpleCrazyHorse Mon 12-Sep-11 19:33:49

We use metanium cream (it can be bought off the shelf in large supermarkets). It is brilliant, you only need a little and if used at the first sign of soreness it might only take one application to sort. DD had a horrific bout of nappy rash and this sorted it out really quickly when other creams didn't.

Definitely use warm water and cotton wool to clean though as wipes can sting.

MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 19:44:01

Thanks, I think it may be been thrush, but not sure, I used tri cortisol and it's looking much better.

TheSugarPlumFairy Mon 12-Sep-11 21:08:01

if it thrush metanium will make it worse. it is great though for normal nappy rash though.

DD was the queen of nappy thrush. Every new tooth she cut came with its own fresh bout of nappy thrush last winter. i should have bought shares in anti fungal manufacturers.

Glad it is looking better :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now