Talk

Advanced search

What's a good "keep-'em-busy" activity for a 4yo boy?

(6 Posts)
EdnaKrabappel Wed 07-Sep-11 21:14:58

7 weeks of ds 24/7, Reception doesn't start for another 12 days and the house looks like a kip, there are piles of paper, bills everywhere. I have a few phone calls to make, stuff to do ...

The ONLY thing that keeps ds busy and occupied solo is TV and I feel guilty about the amount he's watched this summer already. Has anyone got any bright ideas about a good activity to just keep him going while I try to create some order from the chaos please? I don't mind if it's messy!

Firawla Wed 07-Sep-11 21:31:07

mine is slightly younger, age 3 but wooden train tracks stuff keeps him very busy making the tracks then making up stories with the trains, will play with it by himself and occupy himself for ages if hes in the right mood.

mummynoseynora Wed 07-Sep-11 21:33:00

colouring / painting / playdoh / making a den!

Carrotsandcelery Wed 07-Sep-11 21:37:37

Drawing would keep my ds going for hours.

Play doh would also hold his attention for ages but there is the risk that you fix one problem area in the house and create another.

A large empty cardboard box and some crayons would also do the job.

Train tracks, as said above, have the same effect and Lego, if you have got there yet, would also lead to hours of peace.

Good luck smile

BikeRunSki Wed 07-Sep-11 21:41:11

My 3yo (today!) can do jigsaws by himself for ages.

RosemaryandThyme Fri 09-Sep-11 20:16:06

Pop him on a stall at the sink with pouring toys and character toys.

Re-arrange lounge furniture, throw in couple of duvets and sheets for tunnels and dens.

Hide and seek - he counts, you hide several toys - he spends a while looking for them (works even better when dressed as a pirate searching for chocolate coins).

Dig up some worms (snails and slugs even better), ladybirds - small pile of soil and some leaves and boxes - place on hard floor surface (conservatory?) - leave him to investigate.

Bring outside toys into the house, scooters, skateboard if you have one (they glide along on their belly at 4), those little tykes car ones are good.

Story books with CD on - they learn to follow the turning pages sounds very quickly (doesn't need to be able to read by himself for this).

loads more if you haven't keeled over by now !!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now