Talk

Advanced search

12 year-old anxious after Dr Who!

(19 Posts)
Bobbymac Wed 07-Sep-11 08:24:08

My 12 year-old DD unfortunately watched an ep of Dr Who 2 days before term and has become so fretful about it that she has had anxiety attacks at bedtime (and very little sleep) for the past 2 nights. I think she was a little anxious about starting school again too (though she's very happy there). I've assured her it's a normal part of growing up and given lots of support but would welcome any advice on helping her get to sleep.

TheHareWhoLostHisSpectacles Wed 07-Sep-11 08:31:33

This might sound odd but do you think it would help to let her watch it again in daylight - with a running commentary on how the story is really about a little boy who didn't want to go away from his parents - quite a sweet story line really. Then play a game about what you'd put in the cupboard if you had alien powers to do so - porridge, little brothers, school toilets etc. Break it down a bit.

(Having said that i'm terrified of scarecrows and i'm 37 grin)

TheHareWhoLostHisSpectacles Wed 07-Sep-11 08:32:10

Meant to add - Hope she's okay and school is going well.

canistartagainplease Wed 07-Sep-11 08:56:12

Traditionlly, Dr who had whole generations of little ones hiding behind their fingers (and the settee in my case). Its heartening to know that kids are not so hardened by the terrible things they see (and are expected to be ok with)in modern day programming on t v.
You have a lovely girl ,who is reacting quite normally, the issues and settings in Dr Who are pushing buttons, but I agree with TheHare ,in trying to put it into contex and watch and criteque it together. Going up a year at school, is stressful anyway and kids can always do with a little extra reassurance time, creepy manikins and scarey bedrooms not withstanding.

Bobbymac Wed 07-Sep-11 13:03:02

Many thanks for your support and advice, guys. DD has a very active imagination and we live in an old house, so have had to sleep with all the lights on for the past 2 nights. Will try watching it in daylight (and see if I can find an online site about how it was made, to de-mystify it for her). I'm going to watch the Good Life with her and give her warm milk tonight.

She feels much better once she's at school - though she'll probably be dog-tired today!

Izzy66 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:12:04

My niece woke up having nightmares after watching Dr Who this weekend - she never has before, but now her mum has banned her from watching it.

BeerTricksPotter Wed 07-Sep-11 14:21:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bobbymac Wed 07-Sep-11 14:21:42

I think those dolls were particularly sinister (and there were alot of shadows in the doll's house)

SpidersAndVinegaroons Wed 07-Sep-11 14:23:40

Yes definetly check out Dr Who confidential, is it on pLayer? I stopped watching it as it took the mystique away for me.

SpidersAndVinegaroons Wed 07-Sep-11 14:24:53

Jesus, stupid phone. iPlayer.

ExitPursuedByATroll Wed 07-Sep-11 14:29:13

My DD always sleeps with me on a Saturday after Dr Who. Last week she had to sleep with me for two nights as it was uber scary (presume you are referring to the Doll's House episode - jeeps - I would have been bloody terrififed at 11).

She would have slept with me on the third night until I told her that she could, but there would be no more Dr Who for her if she did. We have had lots of being scared of stuff with my DD - you just have to let them get over it in their own time imo.

donteatyourteawithnoknickerson Wed 07-Sep-11 17:59:33

My DD1 loves Dr Who (she's 7). We've not seen last weeks' yet, but have it sky+'ed and my mum has warned us to watch it first -- I have a feeling she may not be seeing this one .......

She does normally have the door a bit wider and the light a bit brighter on Saturday nights anyway, but totally agree with the the previous post that said this is pretty much the point - as a child I wouldn't go down the steps at the Dr Who exhibition in Blackpool (anyone remember that one lol) cos the theme music scared me witless. But I loved it grin

PonceyMcPonce Wed 07-Sep-11 18:00:25

agree Dr Who confidential defuses fear!

susiedaisy Wed 07-Sep-11 18:01:55

That last episode on sat with the horrible dolls had made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end very creepy!!

An0therName Thu 08-Sep-11 22:03:55

my DS1 5.9 loves Dr Who - but he was really scared by the last one - and we did a game with his soft toys with them being Dr Who which seem to help

biffandchip Sat 10-Sep-11 22:15:22

I definitely agree with the Dr Who Confidential idea. If we have watched a Dr Who episode that I think has unsettled any on my ds's I always make sure we watch it then we can talk about how it was made. Also if I think it's going to be scary I watch it and record it for them to watch later if appropriate.

crazycarol Sun 11-Sep-11 00:01:37

DH was traumatised by Dr Who as a kid. He was terrified that a Dalek would come and exterminate him so he hid behind the sofa. Sorry I don't have any advice I just wanted to let you know that he isn't the only one

hippy1952 Tue 13-Sep-11 09:45:35

We usually watch Dr. Who with our 3 grand daughters,aged 3, 4 and 6 when they sleep over on Saturday nights. When we saw the trailer for this episode we talked to our daughter and her husband (who both love the show) and they decided it would be best if the girls did'nt see it. We recorded the programme and when my hsband and I watched it later we realised we had made the right decision. Definately a good reason for parents and carers to monitor what their watch and to censor if neccessary.

hippy1952 Tue 13-Sep-11 09:58:07

Just in case some people think that our grand daughters are a little young to watch Dr. Who. They always love to play at being the characters from the show after watching it,with me usually playing the monster. They will play these imaginary games for literally hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now