Talk

Advanced search

Safe to stop sterilising?

(10 Posts)
Sookeh Sat 03-Sep-11 11:34:57

DS is 8 months now and is having less milk as I've been weaning him.
He's crawling now and gumming everything he can find so I don't see the point.
Do you think I should carry on?

messymammy Sat 03-Sep-11 11:39:32

I didn't keep it on past finding dd2 licking the sole of dd1's shoe....
I haven't managed to kill either of them yet grin

ChippingIn Sat 03-Sep-11 11:41:02

Yes.

You don't actually ever need to sterilise anything, as long as the bottles are washed thoroughly.

It has nothing to do with anything else they might eat, lick or whatever. The bacteria in milk multiplies really quickly so needs to be washed off the bottles, teats properly - no matter how old they are.

MagnumIcecreamAddict Sat 03-Sep-11 11:48:28

I'd carry on if you are making up milk in advance.

Otherwise, just bung them in the dishwasher.

PotatoesOfTheCarribean Sat 03-Sep-11 11:53:47

Agree with magnum - if you're making up bottles to keep in the fridge carry on, otherwise its fine to stop

mousymouse Sat 03-Sep-11 12:13:19

yes, agree with above posters. sterilising isn't even done in other countries.

most important is to make up the feed correctly (with hot water as per instructions) and to properly clean bottles and teats off any milk residue (breeding ground for bacteria), which can be easily done with hot water and soap and bottle brush or dishwasher.

GiraffesHaveMoreFun Mon 05-Sep-11 14:49:05

I stopped sterilising at 6 months. It was a steam steriliser, and as I put them in the dishwasher, not sure how or whether it was different anyway.
We make bottles in advance (stored for about 8 hrs max) using hot water.

wigglesrock Mon 05-Sep-11 20:30:40

I stopped at 6 months - dd3 is 6.5 months, just clean them in hot soapy water.

mrsravelstein Mon 05-Sep-11 20:32:52

i stopped at 6 months with ds1. didn't sterilise at all with ds2 and dd but did put anything they'd used in the dishwasher along with everything else, which i believe has the same effect.

Sleepglorioussleep Tue 06-Sep-11 22:28:17

I think it is important to treat milk differently to other food-ie you need to get everything spotlessly clean. But sterilising is actually less important than making sure things are super clean because if there's no milk on the bottle, bacteria won't grow so sterilising not needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now