Talk

Advanced search

Will I cope?

(3 Posts)
YouDoTheMath Thu 01-Sep-11 21:33:23

Second DC is due in November. DD1 will be 18 months.

I can cope with the thought if a newborn. It's having a toddler at the same time which is only now beginning to stress me.

At the moment I work three days a week. And as much as I didn't want to go back to work (and didn't have to for long!) I'm beginning to realise how much easier my job is than parenting, and on my days off I'm at a loss for how to keep a toddler entertained!

nenevomito Thu 01-Sep-11 22:16:52

I can sympathise - I went form working full time to having a newborn and a toddler at the same time and its hard work, but you can do it!

What I found really helped was getting into a routine and also getting out and about as much as I could. I spent loads of time at various groups at my local surestart centre - it kept the oldest amused and the baby mostly slept or was entertained by what was going on. It meant that the time at home was less fraught.

We walked everywhere too, which the oldest loved and also took more time smile

cherub59 Fri 02-Sep-11 14:25:09

I have 18 months between ds1 and ds2 and also usually work full time. I now have ds3 so had 3 under 3 1/2 for a while.

Like you I was very apprehensive. But you will be fine.

Key helpful tips from me would be:
Get a sling - that way you can go to the playground and still be able to help the toddler and not have to worry about where the baby is if asleep! Mine have all slept hours in a sling.

Get out loads ... That way baby will sleep whilst toddler is amused!

It is your toddler's baby too. Keep him involved then he won't get jealous. He can fetch wipes and nappies to help change baby etc

Bath them together from early on so they end up going to bed roughly the same time. Also try getting baby to nap at same lunchtime nap as toddler.
I had a playpen - not for the toddler but to put baby in in his bouncy chair which meant the toddler couldn't poke him. Brilliant if you need the loo!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now