Talk

Advanced search

WWYDO?

(14 Posts)
Canistaysane Thu 01-Sep-11 19:37:47

If your dc came in from playing out a little upset because he said there was a man videoing him from his flat?

Sirzy Thu 01-Sep-11 19:40:09

How old is he? Do you know (or know of) the person in the flat?

I would ask him to explain exactly what he has seen and then I would phone the local police station to ask there advice on what next.

girliefriend Thu 01-Sep-11 19:41:20

How old? And have you actually seen/ heard of this man before?

I would be concerned and may actually mention it to the police, no one should be videoing your kids.

seeker Thu 01-Sep-11 19:42:19

I would ask for more details, ask him how he knew the man was videoing him and why it upset him, and ask him to show me which flat. I would decide what to do when I knew more. I would not go to the police at this stage.

Canistaysane Thu 01-Sep-11 19:44:08

Ds is 7 yrs nearly 8yrs.

thisisyesterday Thu 01-Sep-11 19:48:26

yes, i would ask him how he knows he is video-ing him and ask him to point it out.

i wouldn't talk to police tbh, the man hasn't committed a crime and they won't do anything i wouldn't have thought.

is there a possibility that the man is video-ing them because they're being a nuisance and he's tired of it?

seeker Thu 01-Sep-11 21:21:10

Far more likely he was videoing something completely different and the kids got the wrong end of the stick. But I would ask him to point out the flat and to show me exactly what happened.

Canistaysane Thu 01-Sep-11 21:58:26

Just makes me feel a bit sick! Why would a stranger want to video children playing out (if that is what he was videoing). There are quite a lot of children who play out on our street and the street in front of us( we live at a T junction). Most of the dc are 8yrs or younger.

thisisyesterday Thu 01-Sep-11 22:37:35

why does it make you sick?

seeker Thu 01-Sep-11 23:03:44

What did your child say when you asked for more details?

TastyMuffins Thu 01-Sep-11 23:16:48

Why would he do it?

a) Because they are possibly a nuisance and he wants to show proof of this.

b) Because they are cute and funny and he loves the fact that he lives in a place where young kids are free to play outside and wants to show his friends and family.

c) Because he's hoping something funny will happen and he can send it in to that video show.

d) He isn't filming the kids, he's filming something else outside.

e) He's got a new phone or camera and is just filming random stuff to figure out how it works.

I would be most worried about a child of this young being upset by something like this. Has someone made him feel paranoid or perverts and peadophiles and made him feel that this is a bad thing? I'd feel sick if something like this upset my child too. Make sure your child knows that if he doesn't feel comfortable about it he should just com inside.

Just like to add that I got a funny look from some people on the beach last week when I was holding up my phone with camera pointing towards them. I had not even thought about them, was using the camera on the other side to take a picture of me and the beach, I have no images of them on my phone and nor do I want any although it must have looked so like I was taking their photo!

TastyMuffins Thu 01-Sep-11 23:17:47

Sorry, what would I do? Send my kid out in his Spiderman costume with mask on.

cat64 Thu 01-Sep-11 23:35:28

Message withdrawn

DuelingFanjo Thu 01-Sep-11 23:50:23

why did he find it so upsetting?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now