Talk

Advanced search

head shaking baby

(16 Posts)
bejeezus Thu 01-Sep-11 19:29:53

hiya, my dd2 is 9 months old. She keeps shaking her head from side to side (as if to say no) for the last 2-3 weeks. When it started I took her to GP to check her ears as she has suffered from reoccurent ear infections. I was relieved when dr said she didnt have an infection and the conversation moved on. I forgot to ask, what then might be causing the head shaking.

My mam thinks she is dancing/playing, but to me it doesnt look like that. She does it numerous times a day. Has anyone had similar? Any ideas why she is doing this and whether it could be cause for concern? could it be from teething pain do you think?

CharlieBoo Thu 01-Sep-11 20:34:05

Yes my dd did this at exactly the same age. I think she discovered she could just do it and liked the sensation. I was a bit freaked but posted on here and it was quite common. She's 2.3 now and no longer does it but dies the most superb tantrums! grin

bilblio Thu 01-Sep-11 20:42:27

I rediscovered the videos of my DD doing this at about the same age. She used to think it was hilarious, especially if we did it too.
I think as CharlieBoo says it's just that she had discovered she could do it, enjoyed the sensation and making the world go blurry. smile

mummytasha11 Thu 01-Sep-11 21:01:17

My 7 1/2 month old ds does this too! Think it's just a new thing he has realised he can do smile

bejeezus Thu 01-Sep-11 22:06:42

well thats reassuring
she doesnt have a brain tumour after all smile

bilblio Thu 01-Sep-11 23:28:11

Nope, sounds like she's just enjoying being 9 months old and all the new things there are to learn.
Ahhh... there are days I wish I could be so easily entertained. smile

TCOB Thu 01-Sep-11 23:30:27

My DD did exactly the same at exactly the same age. And she kept doing it, I think, because it always brought the house down to see this sweet little dote saying 'no, no, no!' to anything she was asked smile.

Gincognito Thu 01-Sep-11 23:31:12

My 10mo ds started doing this yesterday. Most peculiar!

bejeezus Thu 01-Sep-11 23:33:57

lol bilblio - there ARE days that I am that easily entertained- staring at the wall is one of my favourite pastimes

ZhenXiang Thu 01-Sep-11 23:33:59

My 2.3 year DD still does this on occasion because it makes her dizzy and she finds it amusing.

bejeezus Thu 01-Sep-11 23:55:44

funny little things smile

ellesabe Fri 02-Sep-11 19:35:51

My 9mo has been doing this for about a month and has although she has no concept of what 'no' means, she has learnt to associate the word with head-shaking. So now if she hears the word 'no' she starts shaking her head!

Fuzzled Sat 03-Sep-11 11:36:02

My 11mo DS does this, and has been doing so since he was about 5mo.

I now use it as a sure fire way to suss out when he is tired grin

Sookeh Sat 03-Sep-11 11:41:30

My 8mo old ds does this when he's getting tired. I rushed him to the doctors the first time he did it blush

waffles1 Tue 06-Sep-11 09:21:51

Just found this thread which is spooky as for the last couple of nights my little one has done this too (he's 4 months) and we were getting concerned! But i think it's mainly when he's tired. But it did freak us out a bit too!

bejeezus Tue 06-Sep-11 09:50:30

yeah-now i think about it, mine does it more when tired. but not exclusively

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now