Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When did you put baby in own room?

(30 Posts)
witches Thu 01-Sep-11 18:56:05

My baby is only a month old but seems to be disliking her moses basket. I have had her in my bed but was toying with idea of putting her in own cot which is in other room. I know the guidelines say 6months in same room but anyone else put their baby in another room earlier?

Moulesfrites Thu 01-Sep-11 19:01:31

Plenty of people do, but we kept ds in with me until he was 6m mainly because he was bf and still feeding a lot through the night. Also, the SIDS guidelines are to do with the baby being able to hear your breathing in order to regulate their own. I know the risk is very small but I felt a lot more comfortable with him in our room in the light of that.

He outgrew his moses basket at 3m though, so we got a travel cot, as his proper cot wouldn't fit in our room.

Now he is 7.5m in his own room and if we anywhere where we are in the smae room it is a nightmare as he is easily disturbed, whereas when he was younger I think a bit of background noise actually helped him sleep!

PossetFeatures Thu 01-Sep-11 19:15:01

Yes, put DS in his own room next door to us when he was about 3 months as he got too big for his moses basket and we don't have room in our room for his cot. I would've been happy to still have him in with us, but to be honest I didn't bat an eyelid when it came to moving him and SIDS. I know that may sound blase to some and get i may get flamed, but I trusted my gut, made sure DS was in a sleeping bag, not too hot, no toys/cot bumper before he could move around properly. I know that won't please some people, but the incidences of cot death now (the majority) of babies get placed their backs is extremely tiny. I wouldn't have moved him at one month but that was because I wanted him near me, can't explain why! Do what feels right for YOU, don't let people scare you.

Choufleur Thu 01-Sep-11 19:17:50

At about 5 weeks. He hated being swaddled and would hit his hands on the side of the moses basket. no room for a cotbed in our room so he went in his own room. His bedroom door was next to ours and I just kept them both open.

bagelmonkey Thu 01-Sep-11 19:19:54

Put DD in her own room when we got her a cotbed. Before that she was in a crib in our room.

usingapseudonym Thu 01-Sep-11 20:43:34

My daughter moved into her own room at about a year I think.

Not sure when we will move this one but intend to follow the guideline of 6 months and then hopefully move him/her. However if they're not sleeping well I don't want them disturbing no 1 so might move later!

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 01-Sep-11 20:45:18

3.6 years blush

Graciescotland Thu 01-Sep-11 20:53:42

7 weeks he didn't like his arms being swaddled and wanted to sleep like a starfish so the carrycot didn't work for us anymore. Ended up sleeping in the middle of the guest bed (double) and I'd co-sleep for bits and return to DH for the rest of the night.

wigglesrock Thu 01-Sep-11 21:03:54

Dd1 at 3 months, a few weeks after she started to sleep through and got too uncomfy for her moses basket. A travel cot wouldn't have fitted into our bedroom, I spoke to HV and she told me that if it reassured me, I could reverse the baby monitor and leave the receiver bit in our room and the "listener" bit in her room, so she could hear us.

Dd2 tried from about the same, succeeded at 3.6 years (grin at Gwendoline)

Dd3 from she was about 5 months (she is almost 7 months now)

Curlybrunette Thu 01-Sep-11 21:04:27

11 days! I know that seems tiny but the midwife said they can be unsettled if too close to mum as they can smell the milk (if breastfeeding). Ds was really unsettled and waking lots in the night so we tried him in his own room and he slept really well after that.
I had a monitor with a breathing sensor and it felt right for us

I feel you should always do what feels right for you and your family
x

Sofabitch Thu 01-Sep-11 21:07:05

I moved all mine when they were one. I would never put a small baby in their own room as I wouldn't want to risk cot death.

usingapseudonym Thu 01-Sep-11 21:08:28

Aren't they supposed to smell milk/wake to feed in the night in those early months....

mejon Thu 01-Sep-11 21:26:03

DD1 just after her 1st birthday - we hadn't sorted her room out (didn't know if we were moving or not) before then.
DD2 is still in the cot next to our bed and she's 7 months today. We'll move her when she stops waking for milk in the night - did go til 6am today - and when I've had a chance to make the blackout blinds for her room.

BeeMyBaby Thu 01-Sep-11 21:30:50

10 months, would probably wait till baby is older for the next.

peedieworky Thu 01-Sep-11 22:09:15

6.5 weeks. He was too big for his Moses basket and kept battering his hands off the side and waking himself up - waking half hourly. It broke my heart to move him & we didn't have room in our bedroom for his cot sad. His sleep improved drastically after we moved him and his bedroom door is right next to ours, so with the doors open I can still hear him snoring away grin. Agree it's very individual and just to go with what's best for your child. Good luck!

Antidote Thu 01-Sep-11 22:14:19

At about 6 weeks we moved him out of his moses basket and put the cot next to the bed, with the side right down so I could just slide him over the feed him in the night.

Once he learnt to roll (6 months) we put the cot side back on & moved him to his room a few weeks later.

With the next one (ha ha ha) I'll probably go for the cot to start with, or get a much bigger double bed & co-sleep properly.

usingapseudonym Thu 01-Sep-11 22:17:33

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/parenting/a1291645-When-did-you-put-baby-in-own-room#27189551

We've gone for this this time around. Its an intentional co-sleeper bed but not as pricey as some of them. Ignore the dodgy flouncy bits and in the picture underneath it shows that it fixes safely onto the bed to extend your bed a bit to make co0sleeping easier...

BeeMyBaby Fri 02-Sep-11 03:40:15

using you were tired when you did that link wink

witches Fri 02-Sep-11 08:27:50

Thanks for the responses i was anxious i might be flamed! I do still feel that she is a little young but like several others her room would be right next to mine and she is a very noisy sleeper so would definately hear her. SIDS does worry me but being realistic if you leave your baby for 5mins during a day nap it is quite possible that theworst could happen but have to try and keep things in perspective. Still not sure!

SlinkyB Fri 02-Sep-11 08:39:44

Put my ds in his own room at 4 weeks old (feb this year). He was such a noisy sleeper, and we both slept a lot better once he was in his own room. It is right next to our room, and we have a small house, so could still hear his moans even with doors shut!

Followed all other SIDS guidelines re: always put on back, used sleeping bags, monitored temperature in room etc.

Trust your instincts, or maybe trial it for a night or two?

LawrieMarlow Fri 02-Sep-11 08:45:10

DS about 8 weeks. There was no room in our room for anything other than our bed - up until then I was in his room on a futon mattress and no one got any sleep. Then he started sleeping. The size of the house meant he was very near us anyway and both doors were open.

With DD we had a larger room and so she was in with us for longer. Can't remember how long but probably less than 6 months. Was awful sleeper. Now excellent (just took a few years).

Romilly70 Fri 02-Sep-11 08:53:22

4months, as he outgrew his moses basket and we couldn't fit his cot in our room.
he was literally 10 feet away in the next room so we could hear every sound
DS was very happy, but i was so upset - i used to cry and hold his picture till i fell asleep....

camdancer Fri 02-Sep-11 09:14:36

The problem with SIDS guidelines is that no-one knows the relative risks of each bit of the recommendations. So is putting your baby on their tummy worse than putting your baby in their own room? Is being a little warm worse than letting Grandma hold the baby after she has had a cigarette? The other thing is that SIDS means unexpected deaths rather than just unexplained ones. It includes things like suffocation.

So basically you have to read the recommendations, make your own decision about what risks are acceptable for you and make your peace with it. FWIW, DS and DD1 went in their own rooms at 3 months. DD2 is nearly 3 months but sleeps really well with me so I'm in no rush to move her.

Goldrill Fri 02-Sep-11 10:24:11

DD is 9 months and still in with us - I'd be happy to move her but she still has a night feed and I am far too lazy to get out of bed to do it!

I think there's a big difference between "in own room along the landing with the door shut" and "in own room right next to us and we can hear every peep"...

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 02-Sep-11 11:13:02

But as far as I know, the guidelines about sleeping in the same room are not so that you can hear the baby, but so that the baby can hear you. So if you make the decision to move a young baby, surely it doesn't matter whether they're three roooms down with all doors shut or next door with all doors open.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now